Vector Map Support

Started by enema, March 31, 2011, 16:38:19

enema

First, I have looked at almost every offline map program on the android market and none are of the calibre that Locus has achieved. Thank you for providing such an excellent product to the android world.

Now, on to the wish...

The main advantage to vector maps is the file size. Raster images takes a huge amount of space on the memory card. Open Street Maps is an excellent source of vector maps. They allow export of XML data directly from their website.

Is vector map support in the future for Locus?
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  I was worried that this request will come :).

Simple answer. I just started selling Pro version. If this allow me to give at least next eight months to develop (so it will pay me at least 16 months of work), I really want to create support of vector maps. It's something like "My biggest goal" :). But I cannot promise that Locus will once allow usage of vector maps. That's all ...

Edit: why next eight months? Because I expect that basic support of vector maps should be for two months of work. Before it I have many other things to do like better support for Tar maps, some tools for farming (yes, you read correctly) and more :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

enema

With or with out vector maps, this is a beautiful program. Thank you for your hard work
  •  

Menion

you're welcome!
  •  

tomtomxp

yeah would also like the ability to use vector maps, thats what i used to, and with vector map can export pois and lables straight on to map as part of image, no loading requierd allthough they wouldnt work in AR feature

although have noticed you can add gpx files into MAC, making some maps there now and try see if it does.
trying out brut maps too nice app to use offline maps in google maps app
  •  

knoxploration

New Locus user here (in fact, new to Android altogether, actually -- just picked up an Asus Eee Pad Transformer.)

Locus is definitely the most mature, well thought-out mapping application I've found on Android, and I've tried quite a few. I'm definitely going to be picking up the Pro version. I'd be happy to donate a little beyond that to help support this feature request, too (obviously with no guarantee that it will be done).

I definitely want to throw my support behind the idea, though. It could take an already great app to legendary status... :)

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to upgrade. ;-) Just need to figure out how to back up my already-rendered maps so I can import them into Pro, first...
  •  

berkley

Free and Pro use same data source... just as a hint :D
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

elmuSSo

menion, if you will introduce vector maps support, will it be supporting also vector google maps?
  •  

Menion

don't count with vector maps too much :) I would like to add support for them but it's still far future ...

and support for google map will surely not be included. There is no specification for it, there are not data available for download ...
  •  

izzy

I also think vectors maps really are the most missing feature in Locus. This is the only reason I currently still have to use OsmAnd and Mapdroyd.

But there is some great news: mapsforge (//http://code.google.com/p/mapsforge/ ) is an easy to use OSM rendering library for Android and they recently switched to LGPL! This great
library should make vector support for Locus quite feasible.
  •  

Menion

hmm pretty interesting. Can someone explain to me, if LGPL can be used in closed source without needed to be open sourced?

ahh gotcha ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Lesser ... ic_License

"The main difference between the GPL and the LGPL is that the latter allows the work to be linked with (in the case of a library, 'used by') a non-(L)GPLed program, regardless of whether it is free software or proprietary software.[1] The non-(L)GPLed program can then be distributed under any terms if it is not a derivative work."

PERFECT!
  •  

elmuSSo

Good to see your happiness Menion! Best luck with vectors. Your app is going to be one big, perfect all-in-one machine.
  •  

migrations

Using Locus (pro) for a month now, great app, the best Android app i know!
Looking forward to the vector support.
  •  

Menion

ehm ... guys ... this is not a joke :)
  •  

Hyperplane

Thanks for the "teaser" :) . I am looking forward to further progress.
  •