Question about compass

Started by Wojtas82, October 23, 2014, 21:07:07

Wojtas82

I'm experiencing that kind of problem when driving. When my speed is above 1 km/h or more the direction is shown properly but when I stop after few seconds inbuilt compass is activated and map points into random direction and doesn't show the proper direction. I tried different settings in sensor menu and I get similar behavior with inbuild compass disabled. I don't know where the problem is. What I would like to achieve : when I'm stopped the direction is freezed with the last known proper direction.When speed is recognized the direction works again. How can I set it up? Thanks in advance!
  •  

balloni55

Quoteafter few seconds inbuilt compass is activated and map points into random direction
for me it looks like your inbuilt magnetic compass didnt work, so for test try a free compass app if this work correctly.
QuoteWhen my speed is above 1 km/h
what is your setting in "Speed value"?  x m/s
e.g. my settings:"use hardware compass" enabeled, "Auto change" enabeled, "Speed value" 1m/s, "Orientation filter" Light filter
QuoteI tried different settings in sensor menu and I get similar behavior with inbuild compass disabled.
with disable hardware compass gps bearing is used, slow movement and jumping GPS koords suggest random moving direction.
Quotewhen I'm stopped the direction is freezed with the last known proper direction
i think this is not possible
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

CaptKaos2

Quote from: Wojtas82 on October 23, 2014, 21:07:07
when I stop after few seconds inbuilt compass is activated and map points into random direction and doesn't show the proper direction.

It depends were your phone is sitting in the car, I've had this problem with the compass when my phone has been sitting above the radio and in front of the dashboard digital display.
The internal compass is affected by the electronics and ferromagnetic material.

CK
  •  

Christian

I had the same problem but on bike without radio reciever. Thats why I disabled hardware compass.
But I will give this settings a try.
  •  

Wojtas82

Sorry for late response. The problem only shows up when stopping. When moving, direction is usually showed correctly. I noticed it happends mostly in urbanized area with lot of magnetic interferences. When in woods or out of town direction doesn't go crazy. I think about feature suggestion that would work like this : When your speed goes higher then defined value  then rotation should work. When slowing down to defined speed the direction should freeze in the last known direction unless the map is moved manually with the finger. That would eliminate the problem with interferences. This option could be tickable, I guess not everyone likes it :) I hope developers will think about it. It's really annoying when I cycle and want to check the map and the map is pointed in random direction.
I tried many options and I can't eliminate this problem.
  •  

zossebart

I too was never successfull with correct direction showing on the bike handlebar. With my Sony Z1 compact I experience 3 different scenarios:

1. phone simply mounted on the handlebar: compass seems to work reasonable.
2. phone mounted and magnetic charging adapter attached to the phone (I use it in order to keep the phone waterproof because no flaps have to be opened): compass direction only moves slowly, not useable.
3. phone mounted and charging over the magnetic adapter ongoing (switched on external battery pack): compass shows wrong direction, not useable.

I guess there is nothing Locus can do about it (other than using gps based orientation)  :(

•