I wanted to create a plugin for Locus Map which has a new input form(name, password) and provides authentication via some third party service. After reading Locus Map documentation, I think it is not possible.
So, I have to create a separate, native Android app and communicate with Locus via API?
API for Locus do not have tools for creating UI of your own app. It's purpose is exactly as you wrote - to allow other native apps!! communicate with Locus.
My scenario is like this:
1. User provides name and password
2. Server validates the user
3. User submits his geolocation to server every x minutes
4. Server responds with KML file with features close to the user
5. KML file is shown in Locus Map
Is this possible with using Locus Map?
Yes it is.
1. your application
2. your application
3. your application register Broadcast receiver that will receive every second 'Periodic updates' from Locus where will be users location any many other information
4. your application
5. dynamic display of any file is also possible in Locus over API. It's not even needed to be KML file. You may create "Waypoints" objects from KML or any other format directly in your app and send to Locus just a list of waypoints.
So, points 3. and 5. are based on Locus API. Currently there is no perfect documentation and I usually wrote to other developers to test Sample application, where should be everything visible on samples. Anyway if you'll try to do some such app, feel free to write me and I'll gladly help or at least improve existing manual a little bit. http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:locus_apiEDIT
: gynta was faster
. Because here is need for some login, I suggested method over API. Anyway gynta's method should work as well and it's a lot more simplier.