Questions about Locus Navigation

Started by philled, August 11, 2014, 04:20:47

philled

I have been using an Android app called Track Navigator which allows me to import a bicycle route from www.ridewithgps.com and it then guides me with spoken turn-by-turn navigation. Today I tried to do a similar thing with Locus and I have a few questions.

1) Track Navigator not only says when to turn, but it also states the street name. Is Locus able to state the street name as well as stating when to turn?

2) Locus seems to use different words to advise of turns - "bear right", "turn right" and "sharp right". From the route I was following I couldn't figure out how it decides which word to use - it seemed to use different words even for corners/turns that were very similar angles. It was a route I know back to front so it didn't matter, but if it was a new ride I'd never done it could mean the difference between staying on track or heading off down the wrong turn.

3) Locus navigation seems very "chatty". For example, it would tell me to bear left, or turn left when there was no junction, only a slight corner in the road. Is there a way to turn down the "chattiness"?

4) Track Navigator and other navigation apps issue instructions at roundabouts such as "Take the 2nd exit". Locus advised to "Bear left", or "Bear right" which is ambiguous, especially as some roundabouts might have 4 or 5 exits and it's not clear which one is "right". Is there a way to change the way it navigates roundabouts?

Otherwise it seems very powerful, albeit with quite a big learning curve.

Very keen to hear advice from people who have been using it for a lot longer than me.
  •  

Menion

Hello Philled,

I think that here is one important information that will help answer almost on all questions. Locus currently isn't able to generate navigation instructions offline. When you download any GPX/KML track and import it into Locus, it's probably also track connected from simple points (location). But this track do not have any instructions.

When you tap on "Navigate", you should get "Navigation generator" screen, and here is point. This generator generate only estimated navigation orders based on shape of track. Not on a real road situation. So if there is sharp angle to right, Locus generate "turn right" even if there is no crossing. Clear?

This answer to question about street names (not possible now), chatty navigation (depend on shape of route), missing instrutions for roundabouts etc ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •