Custom icon transparency

Started by jumping frog, August 09, 2014, 11:45:37

jumping frog

It says in the manual that the preferred format for custom icons is png - which supports transparency - can I have transparent custom poi icons??
  •  

stebu

Yes.

I've made some icons and at least Irfanview (Windows photo app) supports the definition of the transparent color when saving an icon.

For example see attachement
  •  

Menion

nothing is easier then to try it ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jumping frog

Quote from: menion on August 09, 2014, 18:24:58
I have two POIs very close to each other, their icons overlap. What determines the z-order ie which icon is on top? and do I have any control over it?
  •  

jumping frog

Quote from: menion on August 09, 2014, 18:24:58
I've made a large (200px) icons to place over existing poi icons to mark them (but without changing them) so that they really stand out - but Locus is resizing them - so it looks like there's a maximum icon size - is that right?
  •  

Menion

Unfortunately I have two bad news.

1. System of handling icons in Locus is little bit ... complex (after all these years). So yes, Locus rescale icons, but I'm now unable to say it precisely, on which size, "funny" :). If you need to know it precisely, I may check it.

2. z-order of items ... generally all visible points & tracks are drawn with same priority. So their order is quite random. Mostly defined by order in which they were added to map.
  •  

charlesbabage

Hi, i also agree with you that I've made some icons and at least Irfanview (Windows photo app) supports the definition of the transparent color when saving an icon.nice comment  8)

john_percy

PNG bitmaps support 32-bit images, which is full colour 24-bit with 8-bit transparency. That means that you can get transparent icons with properly smoothed edges. That's unlike GIFs, for example, which assign one colour only as transparent, producing a cookie cutter effect.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Menion

John, I'm worried, that Charles is some kind of spam. Am I correct Charles? If you aren't, was information from John useful for you?
  •