IMPORTANT: Searching in POI descriptions

Started by marlar, March 28, 2011, 01:29:41

marlar

Hi Menion,

When preparing for my upcoming hike in Turkey, I just discovered a quite serious flaw.

Searching for POIs by name does not search in descriptions. This is quite bad as the descriptions often contain important information such as: water, shelter, village etc. So if I need water, I should be able to search for "water" and find POIs that has water in descriptions and not just in the name.

If you could put that feature into Locus before April 10, that would be AWESOME !!!!  :D

Martin
  •  

berkley

Hi Martin,

did you play around with the categories? It seems like you have plenty of points for that track. Can you search for the wanted words as "water, shelter, village" on a desktop pc and create a category for each search? Know what I mean?

Cheers, berkley
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

hmm locus search onlyin names and gc codes. Nothing more. Searching in any other field of poi should slow down searching more then 10 times, maybe more. Your POI data containt co huge amount of various informations that cannot be separate before trip into categories as berkley mentioned before?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

marlar

Hi Berkley,

I do know and use the categories. The problem is that the waypoint file is an official (and very big) file downloaded from here: http://www.lycianway.com/BooksAndMaps/maps.html

For this trip I can (and will!) use your quite good idea and search for the wanted strings and then add them to a special category. However, since Locus is such a great standalone tool which can even download maps (you could use your PC for that too) it is very well possible that you one day needs to download the waypoint file directly to the phone while on vacation etc. without your PC.

Menion, I don't see a problem with slower searches for waypoint descriptions. It could just be an option which is off by default. Then users could turn it on if needed.
  •  

Menion

ok, some checkbox for fulltext search sounds good. send me on email some file. looks that I have to login to download any from that site.
  •  

marlar

Hi Menion, the waypoint file is sent to you. The file on the website is password protected since it is for the book owners only (the passwords are words from specific pages in the book).

I look very much forward to my hike and to trying out Locus for real! I will most certainly come back with a lot of relevant info for you and I will write a "report" of how it was hiking with Locus  ;)
  •  

Menion

fine this will be more then welcome :) Only suggestion from me. I trust my software a lot except one part. Track recording. I didn't tested it a lot. Looks that now works fine, anyway I suggest you, if you want record, install another backup software for this also. Rather ;)
  •  

marlar

Sure. I also have Maverick Pro which is a fine app too.
  •  

Menion

oki, fulltext search done ...
  •  

marlar

Great! I look forward to see it in market so I can try :-)
  •