Crashes on Nexus S

Started by tspi, July 22, 2014, 10:44:47

tspi

Currently Locus stopped working relieable on an Nexus S device with Android 2.3.6 - may this be caused by one of the last two updates? (3.1.2 or 3.1.3) Before every crash it seems to try to allocate a rather small amount of memory which leads to an exception (it seems like an network access - but the crash is reproduceable with a phone without data connection). The crash is reproduceable by simply "using" locus pro for a few minutes (1 - 10 minutes, sometimes happens on launch, scrolling over the map, zooming, accessing the GPS status activity, track recording, etc.).

Logcat output is attached, logfiles that are created by locus if the debugging option is enabled are empty 0 byte files.

PS.: The captchas that are used here are really unreadable most of the time ...
  •  

Menion

hello tspi,

thanks for log, it always helps.

In your case, issue happen on screen with satellites. Anyway reason is low amount of free memory not sat screen or some http communication.

All devices with Android 2.x are quite often on tight edge with free memory in Locus. And unfortunately there is no simple solution. It's important to keep on mind few important things to keep used memory low

1. don't use any overlays, wms maps, etc.
2. better to use online or personal maps, not vector maps
3. keep screen as clear as possible (no unneded points and tracks).

I'm worried that I can't do more for you, sorry.

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

ohgood

i've noticed over the last few weeks that locus has become increasingly unstable. i can scroll along a track or route, and within 50 miles (at any zoom level, vector or image based maps) it will blur to a white screen and crash.

recently, just starting the app has caused it to crash repeatedly, within 4-10 seconds from starting it. there is 180 mb free memory, with the app running.

is there any fix to this on 2.3.x devices ?
  •  

Menion

Hi,

don't be confused by available MB of free memory. It has nothing to do with memory available for a single app. Every app on your device may have only up to around 24 MB, not more.

Anyway in first step, I suggest to use online/personal map (not a vector maps), no overlay and limit amount of points/tracks on a screen. And we will see.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tspi

Displaying less points and tracks basically solved the problem (i continued to use vector maps, memory seems to be enough when not displaying a lot of additional information) on an unmodified phone.

I've now tried to increase the dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit from 48 to 128 mb which solved most problems even with having more points/tracks on the screen & Locus seems to be more responsive too since more memory is available (of course this is nothing that could be done from the application side & as far as i know changing requires either an /data/local.prop file or an editable system partition)
  •