Author Topic: [MANUAL] - creating maps on desktop computer (9.12.2010)  (Read 81285 times)

Offline BobG

• View Profile
Re: [MANUAL] - creating maps on desktop computer (9.12.2010)
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2012, 04:10:45 »
I am a newbie to this and only know some basics of GIS, smart phones and GPS. So thanks in advance for your patience with my ignorance. Trying to use my smart phone as a GPS offroad. I'll start by trying to explain what I want to do and hopefully someone can tell me if it possible and what I need to do to execute it.

I want to download topographical maps to my PC. Move the maps as needed to my phone. Use the phone for the trip to include making way points. Transfer the waypoints back to my PC for veiwing, storing and retrieval at a later date.

Based on what I am reading I think I need to download Locus to my smart phone. Download maps to my computer. Move the maps to the micro SDHC card. Access the maps on the SDHC card on my smart phone through Locus. Use the phone as a GPS and at the completion of the trip move the SDHC card back to my PC for uploading the files?

I have many more questions but thought I would start with the basics.

Thanks!
Bob
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by Guest »

Offline balloni55

• Global Moderator
  • Professor of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: Motorola G3 MM 6.01, SGS2 CM14 7.1
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2012, 08:58:26 »
Hi BobG,
wellcome to the board :)
about handling offlinemaps with locus we need some more info from you,
what mapserver do you want to use?
and from what country you want maps? (Germany, France,Spain)
Locus PRO 3.25.1

Offline BobG

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2012, 23:35:14 »
Balloni55,

Thanks. Not sure which mapserver is best. It comes down to four factors; topographical, ease of use, great selection, and scale. I will be using this predominantly in the US and will be hiking so need smaller scale preferably something along 1:24,000. I've seen lots of posts on different mapservers but didn't want to commit till I found the right application to meet my needs. I know there a lot to choose from that will work and that is part of the problem, Based on my needs what would be your recommendation?

Thanks for the assistance!

Bob

Offline balloni55

• Global Moderator
  • Professor of Locus
    • View Profile
  • Device: Motorola G3 MM 6.01, SGS2 CM14 7.1
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2012, 09:33:12 »
Hi Bob
start MOBAC, select "RMapsSQLite" and the mapsource "ArcGisTopoMap" and create your Map with dif. zoomlevels.
Note for the first example: take a small area !
After creating the Map, copy these folder to your device under Locus/Maps and you will find it under "offlinemaps"
Locus PRO 3.25.1

Offline Bob Denny

• More than Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2013, 21:49:14 »
HINT: If your newly created map has strange problems, select it in Offline Maps, use the Tools icon, and select Reinitialize Map. You will be asked to designate the provider of the map. I have used this to correct seamless joining of separate but adjacent sqlite maps.

Offline emkeyip

• View Profile
  • Device: Tablet Nexus 7
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2014, 08:52:49 »
Hi,
  I absolutely agree that some sort of desktop software (or some precise manual) is required for this, but unfortunately I'm not well skilled in such map transformations and also I have not much time for creating this. Here in community is a lot of people who use some older maps from other software in Locus. Also you can find in posts some tweaks how to achieve this, but all are little bit complicated. But as I wrote before, I'm not much skilled in this topic. I hope that someone will create some complex description or even desktop software that allow this all by simple click <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Such desktop software already exist. Such softwares are called GIS data application and an intuitive one to use is Global Mapper and there is a free version. All you need is a raster image (picture map) which is georeferenced. This simply means every pixel has a corresponding lat./long. coordinate. Global Mapper itself can be used to georeference an image, so can a lot of other GIS software. To make a Locus SQLite map, in the GIS software, safe your georeferenced image as a .kap file and save your image as a jpg file. Next, load these files in OruxMapsDesktop. The .kap file is your calibration file and the .jpg file is your image file. Fill in the destination directory and click Create map. Done. You will find your newly created map in the destination directory. Transfer the map folder in your pc to your Locus map folder in your phone or tablet either in main memory or in the SD card. Run Locus and load your newly created offline map.