Test version from GooglePlay

Started by Menion, April 25, 2014, 15:30:04

tramp20

quote: Would that be problem to keep distributing test version in both old and new channels?

+1
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

tommi

Though I'm actually not a friend of fb, g+, etc. I think it's the right way to go for beta versions.
A lot of other Android devs do it the same way.

edit
Quote from: szebenyib on April 26, 2014, 08:14:13
I have subscribed to the community on g+ but I cannot see the testing version. Can someone help me why?
What means you cannot see the testing version? It looks like the normal Free version but (at least) in my case after installation it turned out to be the beta version.

Only concern I have, how can I distinguish between real Free version and beta version?
The description I see in playstore is not clearly indicating what version is offered.
Usually I keep the beta version even after playstoree release of Pro+Free version in order not to loose the POI (and in the past the navigation beta) feature.
Now it seems I cannot distinguish what I'll get from playstore.

•  

michaelbechtold

•  

eldron

I really don´t see the problem with the old way of distribution...
It took about 1 minute to download and install the latest version - without having to register with g+ .
So my vote would be to keep it the way it was or to offer both ways.
  •  

CaptKaos2

I think this is the way to go. I put the free version on an old HTC Desire and immediately got the test version. No more transferring files from my PC to phone.
  •  

eldron

@CaptKaos
It was never necessary to transfer files from your computer to your phone to install the test version.
You just had to open the locus forum on your phone, download the file and install it...
I really don´t see the great advantage of this new system.
  •  

gynta

Quote from: eldron on April 26, 2014, 11:37:25
I really don´t see the problem with the old way of distribution...
Maybe your point of view does not reach far enough.
I have to update 3 devices and 3 virtual machines. (home and office)
With the new method, android make this 6 updates without browser or dropbox download..
So +1 for GooglePlay test version updates
...and if Menion has an advantage: again +1

szebenyib

Can someone help me with it? I cannot see the new testing version in play. Reinstalled but to no avail.
  •  

gynta

How can i help?
Did you read that and receive confirmation?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105669867009952671671

Quote* How to * 
1. Request to join this community to became a Beta tester (link below).   
2. After confirmation, download Locus Free from Google Play 
Note: Your installation of Locus Pro remain untouched.
Anyway Locus Free and Pro share same data, so keep this in mind during work.

-> https://play.google.com/apps/testing/menion.android.locus

So you should be a member:
-> https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105669867009952671671/members

Bucky Kid

Strange. Locus Free link installs normal free version.
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/menion.android.locus opens page with error - we are sorry, here's nothing for you.
And my account with credentials at play store was already confirmed to that G+ group...
  •  

szebenyib

Thanks Gynta!!
I was a member already, but I have not seen the second link till now. It installed all right ;-)
  •  

michaelbechtold

Hi all with beta trouble: I went through same issues myself, but in the end I got the beta to my Android:
1) register in thsi G+
2) wait to get admission to the beta program (!!)
3) then go to Google Play - but what you see looks foolish - it is old version from April 8th, HOWEVER
4) once I got it installed, it was in fact the desired beta version, 
5) the information pane shows v 2.20.2.2, but News only shows old, original April 8th version info
6) no ads, with Pro functionality until May 30th
Hopefully you can reproduce above.
Good luck
Michael
  •  

Menion

Firstly thanks Gynta for separating topics - perfect!

Advantages of this new system
- you do not have to care about downloading/installing/checking if version exists - it just updates as normal version!!
- there should be a lot more people testing every version, because it will be a lot easier for them to get it. Not everyone is checking required topics here on forum
- it's also easier for me to publish it, just upload on one site

Disadvantages
- seems only personal problems with Google+.

I personally also do not like these social networks. I have profiles on FB and G+, but I don't use them except rare situations. So I do want this because of my hobby in "socialization".

So - common problems/questions I see in previous posts
I do not see beta version
To test it, you simply install regular version of tested app on Google Play. When you became beta-tester or when there will be any new testing version, you just simply get notification about update.

I still do not see beta version
Since I upload BETA version on Google Play, it seems to take up to two hours, till you get notification. So be a little bit patient.

I do not want to use Google+
As I wrote above, there are two ways how you may became beta-tester. One is over Google+ and second is over Google Groups. So if there will be more of you, who do not want to enable Google+, I can create empty Google Groups that will serve just this purpose.

Why this, I still do not see clear reason
I monitor statistics of usage on Google Analytics. Every test version is tested around 50 people, but here on forum I receive some feedback just from few of you. For me anyway even this has a great advantage. More people test, more possible they discover serious problem or app crash them (I also get notification about serious "force close" crashes). So generally - more people test it, better for me and also for you as users. And to attract more people, Google+ is a way

Ok, why not use both ways
I'm trying to make things simplier, so this is last possibility in case, there will be more of my favorite people here from forum, who really won't use Google+

Uff, sorry for a long reading, but it's Sunday and I'm sure you need something to read during lunch ;)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tramp20

Quote from: menion on April 27, 2014, 13:03:39

- seems only personal problems with Google+.

Ok, I am convinced and I got already the test version :-)

And thank you for the auto-hide option will be added to "Track record settings"
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

szebenyib

The new distribution is fine. After it is sorted out once there is no problem with it. I have an account but don't use it except for this. It is just a minor annoyance to register if someone doesn't have one. I do not even have to have gp installed so it is perfect!!
  •