Japan GSI Maps support

Started by voldapet, November 14, 2013, 08:22:45

voldapet

Hi,
menion already mentioned it but I also have to say THANK YOU ta-ka for help with GSI maps. It's unbelievable how you helped us. Really outstanding! Ohh... I don't want to make angry the rest of you so thank you to everybody for your help with improving of Locus :) 
Latest test version contains new GSI maps and we appreciate every idea which map should be in official release. There are some layers that aren't so important. For example two standard maps: "2012 Standard map" and "Standard map".  "2012 Standard map" looks better for levels 16-18 then "Standard Map" but levels 13-14 seems worse.  "Less is more" and for this reason I don't want to add all layers into official release.  I'd like to:
- Leave one of the Standard map (or mix them together)
- Remove Relief, blank map, Brown and green Shading
- Combine MapQuest satellite maps (for levels 0-15/16) with GSI orthophoto maps, because GSI ortophoto starts in zoom-levels 15/16
- Still not sure if we need all Ortophoto maps?

Hoverwer is it possible to say which map is the best for hiking, cycling – what about to combine Pale colour map with monotone shading?

Thank you for suggestions
  •  

ta-ka

Hello.
Thank you very much for spending time for GSI Maps support.
It is one of the most useful map for outdoor activity especially for hiking in Japan.

Quote from: voldapet on November 14, 2013, 08:22:45
Latest test version contains new GSI maps and we appreciate every idea which map should be in official release. There are some layers that aren't so important. For example two standard maps: "2012 Standard map" and "Standard map".  "2012 Standard map" looks better for levels 16-18 then "Standard Map" but levels 13-14 seems worse.  "Less is more" and for this reason I don't want to add all layers into official release.  I'd like to:
All 2012-something maps come from old Digital Japan Maps. It is deprecated and the service is planned to close at the end of March 2014. So, I have no objection to remove 2012 maps from official support.

Quote- Leave one of the Standard map (or mix them together)
However '2012 Standard Map' is an exception.
Because new 'Standard Map' is still under construction and covered region is still small as shown at 'http://cyberjapan.jp/legend/std_pale_seibizumi.pdf';. So, I want to ask to support both '2012 Standard Map' and 'Standard Map' for now and after 'Standard Map' is completed, '2012 Standard Map' will be removed.

Quote- Remove Relief, blank map, Brown and green Shading
I agree. Let's drop 'Blank Map' too.

Quote- Combine MapQuest satellite maps (for levels 0-15/16) with GSI orthophoto maps, because GSI ortophoto starts in zoom-levels 15/16
It is good idea.  In this case, attribution texts on the map might be switched between MapQuest and GSI Maps depending on zoom-level, or just show both for all the time. I think it also need to add some explanation in the maps detail description screen.

Quote- Still not sure if we need all Ortophoto maps?
If we select only one photo, it should be 'Photo(2007-)'.

QuoteHoverwer is it possible to say which map is the best for hiking, cycling
For now, the best map for hiking and cycling is '2012 Standard Map'. In near future, the best will be 'Standard Map'. In addition, 'Pale Color Map' seems better than 'Standard Map' on zoom 15-17.

Quote– what about to combine Pale colour map with monotone shading?
It's not good. As you understood already, '2012 Shade Monotone' is planned to expire while 'Pale Color Map' will be continuously available.

About 'English Map', I've just found on GSI Web site that supported zoom-level has been extended.  I'll check it.

My summary is:
- 2012 Standard Map
- Standard Map
- Pale Color Map
- Photo(2007-) + MapQuest satellite
- English Map

In addition, the maps not listed here can be added to locus via providers.xml by user complying the Terms of Use. Since the tile URLs in GSI Maps are simplified compare to that of old Digital Japan Maps, it is now possible.
  •  

voldapet

@ta-ka
Thank you for information about 2012 * map. I didn't understood correctly the translation of doc page http://portal.cyberjapan.jp/help/development.html#std 

Standard Map
So what about to add only one Standard map? At this moment we would add Standard 2012 and when new service will be completed - we we'd change the source to new service.  The name of map in Locus will be the same - "Standard Map".

Combination of satellite maps –
I agree and I'll  discuss technical questions with menion

English map
Yep it seems that the max zoom=level is extended till level 11. Now is map quite detailed and from my opinion should be add into Locus. 
  •  

gynta

ta-ka

@voldapet
Standard Map
I've got your point. Let's proceed like that.

Combination of satellite maps / English map
All right.

@gynta
thanks.
  •  

jusc

Quote from: voldapet on November 14, 2013, 08:22:45

- Remove Relief, blank map, Brown and green Shading

Not sure if I understand it correctly. Why do you want to remove these maps? I use p.e. blank maps often in combination with WMS maps, because nothig disturbs the viewing of WMS. And why should the cpu work with other maps in this time?.

But maybe I didn´t understand what you mean with remove these maps.  ;D
Regards J.
  •  

voldapet

@jusc
"Remove" means that official release will not contain mentioned maps. These maps will not be in the list of GSI Map. However they can be added to the Locus via provider.xml as ta-ka wrote.
  •