Locus as an android map provider

Started by userloser, August 18, 2013, 10:49:45

userloser

Hi, Menion.

It has been a while since I touched android development, and I've never really looked at the maps APIs, so I don't know how crazy this sounds, but I've been wondering recently about something.

Is it thinkable to develop a layer that uses the Locus app engine as an alternative map provider for Android? That is, have locus load instead of gmaps in all apps that use gmaps to display maps, and use offline maps instead of staying connected? I expect this to involve modifying some android classes, patching a rom and whatnot, but what's your insight or guesstimate on how hard would that be?

Cheers,
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  this is quite crazy idea :). Main problem is that I'm still not much satisfied with map engine I use in Locus. It's still too slow and my only luck is that devices are going to be more and more powerful :) Anyway even if this should be possible (have not idea how), it should for sure violate some google terms of use. Hmm ... I still don't think it's possible to hack vector map renderer that is in Google Maps ... btw. why to do it? Ah, crazy idea :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

userloser

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I am not quite sure what google *terms of use* would it violate -- am I violating "terms of use" by using ParanoidAndroid with the OpenPDroid patches in an important way? I think not. :)

The use cases for the idea are many. I love the combination of OSM maps and Locus, and I'd love em many times more if I could have it inside my jogging app, my tasker map controls and elsewhere.

Not reporting every map I look at to Google has an enormous value. ;)

Anyhow, it is just one of those "what if" ideas.
  •  

Menion

yes, nice "what if", but as I wrote, I really do not see any way to enable this even if there should be usage for this feature, sorry
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •