Energy consumption in Locus while tracking

Started by franc, May 21, 2013, 11:34:25

Bucky Kid

I have measured both Locus and Orux for 5 hours and the apps self suck only few part of battery energy (though Orux comes out of this a little better with 1.8% of consumption share against 3.6% of Locus consumption share). On my measurement the main suckers are Android System and Kernel (more than 40% of consumption). Maybe because these use the GPS service?
Both GPS apps were running in foreground with GPS on + track recording, screen most of time off.
With Locus running I have reached overall battery drain -14.4%/hour while with OruxMaps I've reached only -10.4%. But this is not too precise because background internet data were active during whole measurement and display was on with Locus a bit longer.
  •  

franc

Try this: disable all radio (by airplane mode), disable GPS and let locus run in background (as service) starting with a full battery. Don't use the phone (display off) for an hour.
You can do this with orux as well. Now you see the nearly pure battery consumption through locus.
Locus Pro - always the actual version on Xiaomi Mi A1 mit Android 9
  •  

Menion

wait, you see that Locus consume battery even when no track recording, navigation is running and GPS is disabled?

This doesn't make sense. Only features that are running permanently even when Locus is on background are LiveTracking and Periodic Updates (menu > misc). When these two features are disabled, there should absolutely no live ...

If you still have some battery consumption by Locus even then, please create for me backup of your settings and share it with me, I'll try it also.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

franc

Quote from: menion on September 15, 2014, 19:04:48
wait, you see that Locus consume battery even when no track recording, navigation is running and GPS is disabled?...
Yes, indeed!

This doesn't make sense. Only features that are running permanently even when Locus is on background are LiveTracking and Periodic Updates (menu > misc). When these two features are disabled, there should absolutely no live ...
Hoppsa! I had the setting Enable periodic updates enabled. Will try it again without. But I don't find "LifeTracking" setting.
I have set "Locus as a service" (very useful).

Quote from: menion on September 15, 2014, 19:04:48...If you still have some battery consumption by Locus even then, please create for me backup of your settings and share it with me, I'll try it also.
I just sent you settings backup (through locus > backup settings  > share) as mail (subject: settings)

Here I let locus run in background with globally disabled GPS module and radio off (airplane mode) for 1.5 hours, display rarely on and never locus in foreground (see attached Screenshot for energy consume). Somethings wrong I guess, then. That is what i ment before (see my previous posts)

Like you say, should not be using beside of the "Enable periodic Updates" but I had airplane mode on!

EDIT: I just tested again with disabled check of updates and it's the same, nothing to do with it.

•  

franc

@menion: Could you find anything in my settings?
  •  

Menion

Quote from: franc on September 16, 2014, 06:18:28

Hoppsa! I had the setting Enable periodic updates enabled. Will try it again without. But I don't find "LifeTracking" setting.

Sorry, I expected you'll try it again without periodic updates, to have more comparable results.
  •  

franc

Misunderstanding. I did this already, in my previous post I showed screenshots from this and also from before with this setting enabled.

Did you get my settings (per mail)?
  •  

Menion

ah I miss that sorry. I've got you settings. Will check it during a week ...
  •  

franc

Quote from: menion on September 20, 2014, 08:17:44
..Will check it during a week ...
Did you find something weird in my settings?
I ask because I will hike for three weeks soon (friday) and there I would love to keep a long time locus running (and nothing else) on my phone with one battery :)
  •  

Menion

Hi franc,

seems you use "Show view" on a map. Just a few days ago I was solving one issue with this function & battery in Locus. There was small permanent battery consumption even when Locus was in background. Solved now.

Anyway I see no problem in your settings that should have influence on your battery, except above "Show view" (which enable hardware orientation sensor).

Best should be an experiment and try to find which function cause these battery problem. Because no matter what I do, when Locus is in background, I see 0% battery consumption by Locus when no function is running.
  •  

silber1

I generally use "Battery doctor" from play store, to kill all unneccesary progs in background. Together with flymodus and activated bluetooth and an extern BT-gps-mouse, I have no problem to use Locus for more than 10 hours with my S4.
Last track yesterdy was 15 km 5 hours and still 80 % battery left. :)
  •  

Menion

Quote from: silber1 on September 30, 2014, 11:15:45
Last track yesterdy was 15 km 5 hours and still 80 % battery left. :)

Very nice score.

Anyway issue I found few days ago thanks to one guy, was that Locus, even correctly closed, remained orientation sensor activated! So till you restarted device, it consumed battery even that Locus was killed. Some issue in Android Xperia Z1C (don't know if also in any other devices).
  •  

franc

Disabling the Show View didn't change it.

My goal is, that I could run locus in the background (as service) all the time during a long hike, in airplane mode, with GPS activated (to check position fast) and no need to change the battery.
Not possible at the moment.
Locus is the main consumer then.
But this must be related to my constellation (OS and apps), when you tell me that locus doesn't consume any in background.
Will soon install CM11 and see further then.
If not, will buy new and better phone (e.g. SGS4).
  •  

Menion

franc, even that I should because I created Locus, I'm not saying on 100% that Locus cannot consume any extra battery. There should be any problem and I'll really gladly fix it, trust me. But it's very complicated to find a reason when something like this do not happen to me.

So only possibility I see is to test various options and find a reason. I'm watching my usage more carefully now, but still no problem. Sorry.
  •  

franc

Will tell you here when on CM11 how things go. Since then thank you much for best support anyway!!!
  •