Power in watt- ( algorytm and ANT)

Started by locuscycling, March 19, 2013, 16:27:05

locuscycling

We( cycling enthusiast ) have in Locus : heart rate, cadence.
I think it will be fine to have also POWER in Watt .

There are 2 ways ( or maybe  more)  to ,,calculate'' this.

1.First -simply by ANT technology. It is the best ( most exactly ) method but also most expensive. Thinking about myself i will never pay 1000 euro for this technology.
2. Second-based on algorytm calculation

I am using this one  //http://www.sigma-rox.com/en/rox-highlights_en/leistung_en.html
with my cycling computer. And i am  pleased with it .

But it is possible to have others algorythm   like simple
//https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20959332-power-calculations

Maybe the most interesting one will be
//http://www.cycleops.com/en/training/tools/calculators/watts.html

( ,,Similar'' to like Garmin GSC10 which counts Speed and Cadence , this Cycleops heart belt measured Heart rate and ....Power)

I know ,many say: when it goes to power calculation only SRM but for turistic cycling  ( for ex. to see how many watts can i produce on long climb) it is well enough.
  •  

locuscycling

Just note to my post from March about Power in Watt in Locus.

I see on SigmaSport that new ROX. 10.0 is comming this summer. As we can read  this computer can show POWER in Watt from power meter in ANT+ technology but also without it ;see what i emphasize on screen below.  

•  

Menion

hi, currently I have some serious problems with ANT+, where some sensors do not works at all. When this will be fixed, remind me this and I'll look at it. I also write this topic to my private list of "TODO", so I'll probably not forget :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

locuscycling

Thanks.
I will not forget to remind for sure.

( Right now still i am  using old  2.12.0 version and all works OK .
Fortunatelly i  have switch off automatic apps update in my phone. Some times ago I have read about problems with new Ant+ , hope that it will be fixed soon. I am waiting becouse I dont know if is it possible to go back from new Locus version to the older one  and Ant+ is one of most important options for me )
  •  

sherman

Hi,

while considering to implement virtual power, there is a nice javascript calculator with explanation. A good point where to start: http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

But in my opinion it is not worth implementing as any other method then direct power measuring is very inaccurate unless the conditions are ideal (no wind, the same surface, still position on the bike...)

If you want to try it install the IpBike app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... oid.ipbike It has quite ugly GUI and the control is not very intuitive but it has superb features, unmatched by any other android app I know, for bike.
  •  

locuscycling

Quote from: "sherman"Hi,

But in my opinion it is not worth implementing as any other method then direct power measuring is very inaccurate unless the conditions are ideal (no wind, the same surface, still position on the bike...)

I

@sherman
Of course  innacurate on flat becouse of  what you wrote :wind.,surface... but not so bad when we climb mountain( this is important for me).
Since a year I have also ''old' 'Sigma Rox 9.1  with Power Measurament without ANT+( just alghorytm) and it is very fine option in my opinion. For touristic cycling ( with a little sport bent) good enough. For ex.  You  climbed 10 km hill with avarage 150 watt, then after few week you try the same hill and you see  avarage 200 watt .Clear it is a ,,progress''.  

(I dont like IPBIKE becouse of ,, Maps'' and all navigation function. Locus is years a head in this topic).
  •  

sherman

Agree with you about the poor maps features in IpBike.

Currently I use both apps. IpBike for track recording (as Locus has problems with ANT+ sensors now and IpBike has better handling of altitude sensor in my opinion) and Locus when I need navigation. Not ideal when I have to switch between them while riding, but it is not needed so much often.

Also hope I will use just one app some day. In Locus I also miss the ability to quickly switch between different dashboards.
  •  

locuscycling

Quote from: menion on June 25, 2013, 06:17:22
hi, currently I have some serious problems with ANT+, where some sensors do not works at all. When this will be fixed, remind me this and I'll look at it. I also write this topic to my private list of "TODO", so I'll probably not forget <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Hallo,
I think  all problems with ,ANT+ were fixed and  it work  excellent.
Just wanted to remind you about  possible implementation of ,, Power from ANT + or ''Power from Algorithm'' in Locus.

( Of course it is not time to ride a bike  right now but it will be nice to see ,,Power calculation'' in Locus Dashboard in some time.)

•  
    The following users thanked this post: ssol

Menion

don't worry, I have this in mind when "time to improve dashboard" comes
  •  

Oleg Oleg

Are there any problems to add power sensor to ANT manager?
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: ssol

Menion

Hello Oleg,

you have to understand there is huge amount of ideas and only those with bigger interest from Locus community, has chance to success. And if I correctly search here http://help.locusmap.eu/ , there is not a single topic around support of this sensor/calculations. So for now sorry, no plans to add this sensor in next months.
  •