Hi to all,
probably all who works with Vector maps themes , know something about MapsForge project. I really really! appreciate nice job that Thilo did. Mainly from my unexperienced point of view, very nice and clean code. A lot of code.
Anyway every project and it's leadership will soon or later wants to do something more important. (that's why I'm not a big fan of open source projects, or at least projects that do not generate any revenue to it's authors). And because
- there are some unsolved bugs (maybe they're already solved, I wasn't checking their issue list for a long time)
- MapsForge is created mainly as a separate library for project that will be build upon this lib
- there is not enough active developers to fast do some improvements
I decided, to rewrote what is needed to Locus needs. Enough of waitingI anyway need some help1.
I created list of all supported attributes - http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... eme_config
. This page is in preparation, but all main modifications are already described. These modification are based on my communication (as a Locus developer) with Peter (as person responsible for Vector maps rendering and themes). Anyway if you'll miss some features, I'll gladly improve library
And btw. what has already changed?
- support for multiple working map files at once
- added some attributes for themes
- added support for SVG icons (some icons in internal themes already use them)
- except few classes, I overwrite many functions to be less memory consuming and faster
- fixed many problems with low speed at high levels, problems with switching themes2.
Understanding MapsForge license - I'll of course release modified library. I don't think that someone will want to use modified almost year old MapsForge library code, but maybe someone will find some useful parts there. Anyway what about some connection on Locus itself? Know anyone if modified library have to be fully separate project or should I use some functions from Locus without publishing Locus under same license? Quite crazy these licenses ...