Main Menu

3D map

Started by New Daddy, December 31, 2012, 02:17:15

New Daddy

Now that OruxMaps has gotten a very nice 3D functionality, I'd like to see Locus to catch up too.
  •  

tramp20

Please no
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

eric99

I would like to see this feature too, its really helpful, especially on mountain tours

eric
  •  

gynta

What is OroxMaps ?

About 3D
A "google earth 3d feeling" exists more than a year in some testversions - and i hate it  :mrgreen:

eric99

@gynta

its called OrUxsmaps and ist also a very good (free) prog with some phantasic and some (still) missing features. E.g is the map-administration and the time of map-showing the best of all...and a navigation-feature is also included.

You have to test it for judging it....otherwise its childishly...

eric
  •  

tramp20

I know the 3D maps from ape@map and it is terrible to handle and to look at it.
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

Menion

Hi guys,
  this discussion is useless, sorry :). 3D maps stand on simple problem - support for OpenGL. I want to add hardware rendering for a very long time, maybe more then 2 years, but as you see, there is always something more important ...

if will be in Locus 3D maps? Don't know. I don't see them useful and don't see a benefit from it, but I'll for sure work on hardware accelerated rendering. That's all ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

zossebart

hey,

I'm digging out this old topic because I stumbled over this:

https://github.com/mapsforge/vtm

Might this be a solution to integrate into Locus? It supports (Android) Java and mapsforge format, so maybe it can be integrated easily?
  •  

Menion

Hello,
I'm watching this nice project of one of MapsForge developers. Unfortunately not all is so simple. In this case, it's not just about map, it's about all stuff that Locus Map draw on map! All possible overlays, all possible styles of tracks, huge optimizations around icons, etc. This all will be probably lost and because project it just on it's start, I think we may give it a while ..
  •  

zossebart

Ok, I understand. Just wanted you to notice, but obviously you already have.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Cruiser http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cruiser (also by Emux) is a quite decent Android App already (and on other platforms that provide Java RE) And it features many of the areas of concern that you mention. Yet, it lacks much of the detail features Locus offers, but that may sit just on top in most cases ?
  •  

Menion

Maybe you are correct that missing features are just a top, I have not tried this application yet. But based on fact, how long is developed cruiser compare to Locus Map, I think it will be more then a "top".

Anyway there is another reason that is quite important to me. Based on previous experiences, I do not like such heavy dependency on 3rd party library. In this case, when there will be any new problem, like problem with new version of Android or lack of some needed feature, I will be completely stuck and just waiting till some other guy fix it. Except few cases, all in Locus is my own creating or heavily modified library (like charts, vector maps, ...). And without these modifications, it won't work as needed. In this case, library is wrote in system i do not know and understand yet, so this is another big reason for me, why not to use something like this.

I still believe I'll finish all main tasks and problems in Locus and will have opportunity to have half an year on learning and implementing own basic OpenGL system. Unfortunately core tasks on help desk seems to be never-ending ...
  •  

michaelbechtold

I fully understand your strategic assessment, Menion.
But sometimes there is a way for an arrangement that serves both, and without a blocking dependency. It depends on Emux' interests to a large extent. But as I do not know him personally, I cannot even guess.
  •  

smprofx

Any new updates about a 3D View in locus?

Since many off-road routes in our area are not found in most of the maps we rely heavily on Google / Bing satellite maps downloaded offline then on the sight if a planed route is not possible to follow for any reasons we have to replan the route. Having a 3D view of the satellite maps  would make much more convenient for us to interpret the new options ...

Now satellite images, even with elevation data enable, are hard to interpret in Locus in regards terrain topography.

Perhaps if we could have a 3D map rendering based on the elevation data with possibility to pan / spin the map and adjust the tilt level (kind of similar to Google Earth) or Garmin Base Camp in 3D mode with a map featuring DEM / shaded relief.
Having this feature and paired with Locus ability to use offline maps ... well it's something that many of us I'm sure we wish to have in our hands when deciding which route should I follow in a new terrain (as an off-road rider).

•  

Andrew Heard

A killer feature for V4?
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •