Discussion about Locus manual (Dokuwiki)

Started by Menion, December 09, 2012, 10:32:12

balloni55

Hi gynta and all other premium members,
    Since a short time I am also a "premium member" and able to see this theme.
    Roundabout since one year I read daily in this forum and on "getsatisfaction"
    At the beginning it was very difficult for me to find answers for my "beginnerquestions"
    And so in my opinion it will be very helpful to have a structured FAQ or "HowTo"
    And so for example I have  few questions:

• •   Where can I find these "Beta Howto" if I would like to help ? the link in your post above is dead.
    • •   I never heard before from "zdrazil", I don't find him in the memberlist, how can I contact him if I want to help?
    • •   Where can I find a presentation of the admins, it is important for newbies to know who is who
             Menion, ok he is the boss and knows nearly for all problem an answer ;-))
             Voldapet, perhaps mapspezialist??
             Zdrazil, ?

For me also unknown and coudn´t find an answer:
- •   The theme "BIN" in the forum, is this an abbreviation or what is the meaning?
- •   For what is the Karma, red and green arrow? Refers it on these post or generally to these member? and how to use?

nice weekend

sorry for these structure, i have some problem with the "handling" of new forumssoftware :-[
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

Hi guys,
  firstly, thanks for your interest. Nice

content of new wiki will be here http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/playground:main_new . Vladimir Zdrazil (zdrazil) is just a new guy we hired for such extra tasks like writing wiki etc. I really do not have time on this and also my English isn't best for manual ...

Hmm presentation of admins :) I'll think about it ... meanwhile you may scroll "Our team" panel here http://www.asamm.com/

Meaning of "BIN" - it's just trash for testing and playing with this forum. Everything that may be deleted belongs here
  "Karma" - it's just a feature of this forum. From my personal point of view, it's useful to see that person may be "trusted" and users are satisfied with it's responds, so they may vote him. You may check ivolino ( http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=3292.msg23384#msg23384 ), it's nice example that it works. He had many questions again and again same, even a little unpatient and you may see his karma. Btw. I see gynta has also just "-1", heh :)

Anyway if you think it's a nonsense, I may remove it, but ... I like it. It makes from forum also a small playground and it's "fun".
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

gynta

Karma is nice but I can't see why my karma is changed.
More useful is a "thank you" plug in.
I think...

tramp20

Quote from: gynta on September 03, 2013, 20:05:20
Karma is nice but I can't see why my karma is changed.

I did it :-)
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

balloni55

Quotecontent of new wiki will be here http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/playground:main_new . Vladimir Zdrazil (zdrazil) is just a new guy we hired for such extra tasks like writing wiki etc. I really do not have time on this and also my English isn't best for manual ...
Hi menion
in the meantime i read some of the new written chapters from zdrazil and i´ll be sure all users are happy with an "up to date" manual :)
For this time i have a question:
under "Getting startet" there is discribed how to load more than 3 geocaches/day as a basic member with cgeo :o

• is it good to discibe this method in an official locusmaual?
  • why is it allowed for cgeo to do that and not for locus?
Wolfgang
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

if it's good or not it's a question ...

I think about it in this way:

1. c:geo violate "terms of use" of Groundspeak
2. Groundspeak knew about it and do absolutely nothing!!
3. users suffer in all apps except c:geo, because of quite stupid limitation, that almost broke ability to hunt a caches
4. Because Groundspeak knew about it and do nothing, then why not use this app as data source

You probably know me and I'm not a fan of violating terms of use of any service. On other side, when I don't agree with something, I don't care too much about law. In this case, I don't agree with limits from groundspeak for basic members. People are creating this game, not Groundspeak, and 30$ per year is quite a lot of money compare to prices of apps on Android. Also, their app do not have these limits, weird, isn't it?

So Vladimir (zdrazil) ask me on this opinion, and I said, why not. When Groundspeak ask me to remove it, I'll remove it in case, they block c:geo (oki, maybe even without it :) )
  •  

gynta

Reactivated thread,
because Locus knowledge base will be updated soon...
Any ideas, opinions or suggestions for improvement?
Feel free to tell us...

Menion

To be precise, currently around 80% of stuff is back and most of it updated and some added.

As I discuss at home with Peter and Hanka, this is how we like new structure.

main sections
Section "how to" with most easy manuals as "Gettings started", few FAQ and basic manuals
Section "user guides" with more detailed descriptions of Locus screens
Section "Advanced" with rest advanced topics

Anyway there is always place to make it better, so as gynta wrote, feel free to discuss about it. Because I believe everyone from time to time find good manual useful. Me too to be true  ;).

And step that will follow (we plan)
- we will work on Czech translation
- will try to find native English speaker (finally) to create perfect English translation (also for Locus itself)
- will try to find native German speaker to create perfect German translation.

If you know about anyone who is interesting in English or German, give him contact. And warning - we want really 'nice translation' as a paid! service, not for free. Because it needs to be "perfect" and it has to be fast. I'm sure everyone waited too long on manual.
  •  

berkley

Perfect, glad to hear about switching back to old solution.

How do plan to face the problem with creating new features, changing layouts and so on? Manual will always be one step behind the app.

Best solution should be:
- get everything done that it's up to date
- before releasing new version:
+ create new topics in manual for new features
+ change every screenshot that it matches current version
+ change every text that it matches current version
+ update translations

Pretty hard job  8)
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

szebenyib

Quote from: menion on June 30, 2014, 21:26:30
- will try to find native English speaker (finally) to create perfect English translation (also for Locus itself)
- will try to find native German speaker to create perfect German translation.
8-) 8-)
I believe that is an excellent idea, I have seen people to express their concern about it, so this should help a lot!!
  •  

Christian

@berkley, you got it. This is the usual way to go if something has changed.
I offered translation into german language to menion.
  •  

berkley

@Christian
Unfortunatly I think I won't find the time to do this in full time. But if you need some help, I'm sure I find a few hours to support you.
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Christian

•  

Menion

New manual is not published. Well, new manual "work in progress", so this quite old discussion may be closed once forever :).

new thread -> http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=4558.0;topicseen#msg36552
  •