New vector maps for Locus - feedback

Started by voldapet, December 08, 2012, 16:32:32

voldapet

@jusc
Thanks for report. Actually I focused on missing building last week. But new generation of map is needed - so It'll be fixed in next version of Locus vector maps.
Thanks
  •  

gynta

About LoMap and his own hiking theme.
(don't found the right topic in "theme")

Why this theme ignores this ares:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/47.19895/13.11837  ?

OSM description:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cs:Tag:natural%3Dscrub

compare:
GoogleEarth map | Locus-hike theme | HiLo-theme:
| |

btw.
For me as an hiker, this would be a better orientation in the field, then the useless gas station(fuel) symbols in this theme  8)

voldapet

I'm sorry for delay - some problem in notification. Well I guess that internal theme used to use custom color for natural=scrub. Even the theme is ready for it. But it seems that I had to removed. Unfortunately I don't remember why :) Maybe some simplification?
Well you'd like to see it, right? :)
  •  

gynta

Quote from: gynta on March 04, 2016, 16:08:38
For me as an hiker, this would be a better orientation in the field
= yes  ;)

voldapet

•  

gynta

TrulloF

Hello, during my last vacation I noticed the following error in Locus vector map (Germany South). Please see the attached screenshots. 1st is Locus map (Germany South) and 2nd Openandromaps (Germany Mid). What's causing the erroneous display in Locus map? Thank you in advance.
  •  

karlchick

Would it be possible to show highway.unclassified, highway.service and highway.track from level Z12?

Attached shows a comparison at Z12 of LoMap vs OAM, see that LoMap shows large blank areas. I think it better to show that there is something in the empty spaces... also, if you are navigating by car,  it would be good to see that there are some minor roads available and where they go,  especially when stuck in traffic jam and contemplating making a diversion...
User id: 62b600722
Author of the OS Map Theme:
DiscussDownload

karlchick

Lack of minor roads at Z12 looks even worse when using the screen zoom feature, see attached.

Note that "unclassified" highways are very common highway in the UK and are usually national speed limit roads (60mph), they just don't have road numbers. The very often connect villages together too.
DiscussDownload
  •  

karlchick

I noticed that the new PROW tags (designation) in LoMap are visible at Z12 (yay!), but not available in OAM, and in OAM the minor roads/tracks are visible at Z12 (yay!).

If I use overlays to merge OAM and LoMap I can sorta preview what making the minor roads visible from Z12 in LoMap would look like, attached... a best of both (but a bit slow to scroll)...
DiscussDownload
  •  

voldapet

@karlchick
The highway=service and highway=unclassified will be available from ZL=12. What about the highway=track - is it necessary to show them from zl=12?
  •  

karlchick

Quote from: voldapet on December 11, 2023, 11:19:27@karlchick
The highway=service and highway=unclassified will be available from ZL=12. What about the highway=track - is it necessary to show them from zl=12?

Yes please. This would be great, maybe useful of planning hiking routes, cycling/mtb routes and 4x4 green laners? But, I guess not as essential as the unclassified and service...

While we're at it, could we also have:
  • tertiary visible from z11?
  • place=town visible from z8? (Map goes suddenly blank at z8)
  • place=locality from z15?
  • buildings one zoom level earlier (i.e. important buildings from Z13, others from Z14)?
  • landuse=retail from z10 (same as residential)?

These all also disappear rather prematurely...  actually a lot of the landuse tags disappear rather earlier than necessary.

I wonder if some if these settings carry over from v3 maps? With v4 maps being like one zoom level "closer" compared to v3 and with newer phones having much higher resolution screens i think this is becoming more noticeable now...

DiscussDownload
  •  

voldapet

karlchick

Quote from: voldapet on December 12, 2023, 08:41:01OK, it's changed...

Thanks, by the way I edited the post to add a few more suggestions.... you were quicker than I could edit the post ;-)
DiscussDownload
  •  

Tapio

Reasonable suggestions. I just recently decided not to include residential streets into ZL12, but am still a bit undecided. Tertiary (and bigger) I agree. I start tertiary also in 11.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •