GPS auto off with Keep auto-off enabled=true doesn't work

Started by tommi, August 11, 2012, 16:43:45

tommi

Hi Menion,
I played a bit with mentioned settings.

While  GPS auto off with Keep auto-off enabled=false seems to work (while Locus was in background I noticed that after GPS update interval the GPS icon in the status bar blinked for few seconds. I don't know what really happens when screen is off.

With GPS auto off and Keep auto-off enabled=true I made the following observations:
- Locus is in background: after GPS update interval I noticed the blinking GPS icon in the status bar.

- Locus is in foreground with the GPS screen: after GPS update interval nothing happens, after some seconds Locus complains that it could not achieve GPS fix (I configured 2 beeps for that event/status). Locus seems to have forgotten that it needs to switch on GPS. Even after several update intervals +max search time Locus never switched on GPS because I see no blinking of the GPS symbol in status bar.
If I toggle My Location in the GPS screen off and again on immediately the GPS symbol starts blinking and Locus achieves GPS fix.
But after the next update interval nothing happens again (see above).

- Locus is in foreground with the map screen: same problem as with GPS screen

*Edit*: Tested with Locus pro 2.5.6
  •  

tommi

Hmm, tried the problem case with today afternoon's Locus Free 2.5.6.3 and there the behaviour is correct.
But I do not see any hint in the "complete list of changes"...
  •  

Menion

Hello Tommi,
  just to be sure. In settings I enable
GPS auto-off -true
GPS update interval - 15s
Max search time - 30s
Keep auto-off enabled = true

then on map screen enable GPS and now
30s searching
15s sleeping (disabled)
30s searching
15s sleeping

when then I put locus on background
"GPS disabled" notification and GPS is sleeping permanently

moving Locus to foreground
"GPS enabled" and 30sec searching started ..

is same happen to you?

PS: I didn't change anything in this test version compare to 2.5.6 version. So if you had problem with last release, it should be in this test version
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tommi

Yes, if I do exactly what you describe it behaves as for you.

O.k., I have to tell more details:
- track recording is on (I admit that this doesn't make too much sense combined with GPS auto-off active)
- updateinterval 300s
- Disable location: all 3 items ticked (together with the active track recording I think it is the same behaviour as without recording and Disable when hidden not ticked)

With above additional settings the problem happens as I described.

Why did I do such a test? I wanted to achieve "keep the GPS warm" without the drawback of high battery consumption.
  •