Custom screens creating

Started by Menion, July 03, 2012, 17:07:53

Menion

Hi to all ...
  Custom Screens is one of my favourite features. It's complicated, it's hard to understand and it's quite powerful <!-- s:) --> :) <!-- s:) -->

I'm more then sure (no one have to write me this), that for most people is quite complicated to create any screen in current system. I know that some GUI editor should be nice, but it's not now in my time possibilities to write some desktop toll. Anyway, for now, I would like to offer you something.

I'm not an designer or graphics and in case of "Custom screens", I'm not full of ideas, anyway I'm sure that many people is. So do you have nice idea on custom screen? Or even better, are you able to make some graphics in Photoshop for it? Even if not, just take you pen and draw on paper, how should your most wanted custom screen look like and what should it do. And if it will be interesting, I'll create it. If there will be also some interesting functionality, I'll also try to add it to Locus.

If there will be bigger base of available custom screens, I'm almost sure that most people will be able to modify them a little so they may fit their needs. Let me know if you're interested in this offer. Discussion may continue in this thread together with some concrete custom screen requests

See also -> [MANUAL] - creating custom screen
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

ppiter

Hi Menion,

I would like to have a kind of bicycle computer as a custom screen. But my proposal is not  to make a real custom screen because the display of my mobile is small and I want to see as much of the map as possible. I think it would be better to have one ore more additonal screens and a possibility to switch very easy between screens. For instance first screen is the map second is bicycle computer and third is extended info on bicycle computer.

I know you don't work with garmin devices. But they have a pretty easy possibility to setup your personal page (it is a kind of custom screen).  The page has 8 rectangels. Each rectangel can contain information f.i. speed or altitude. The user can choose from ca. 20 different things in a dropdown box. The user has the possibility to decide what information is displayed in each rectangle. So everybody can create his own custom screen.

[attachment=0]custom screen.png[/attachment]
  •  

Menion

hmm understand. This is not currently possible with Custom Screens system, but I was also thinking to add such possibility ...

during August, I'll for sure look at it
  •  

joeloc

I'd still prefer something on the main screen:
https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topic ... t_approach

But if you really will not ever render any data on the main screen in a visible way, at least think about an option to auto-show a custom-screen when moving and auto-hide it when stopped.
  •  

pierre_lavanchy

Bonjour Menion,

thank you for all your work ! It's excellent !

I'm just a beginner user of Locus and bought it because I like the easy way to use maps and all the work of other people like you do for it.

I then also just bought an Android "phone" in replacement of my old WINCE PDA (a MIO P550) used mainly as a map GPS for flying paraglider.

I used Oziexplorer which was (is) good too.  http://www.oziexplorer.com/
It was easy to set some way-points, and then start navigating and logging the track having the map display + 2 lines of navigating information (speed, heading, altitude and distance and heading to next wp, estimated time to next wp).

It would be excellent to have the actual glide ratio and the necessary glide ration to next wp (glide ratio = glide angle = horiz. dist./ vertical dist.) which is obtainable with altitude derivation (=vertical speed, down or up) and horizontal speed.

I leave some screen-shots from Oziexplorer, Compegps and SeeYou as examples.

[attachment=1:18v33sj0]Oziexplorer_display_1.jpg[/attachment:18v33sj0]
[attachment=0:18v33sj0]Compe_GPS_flying.jpg[/attachment:18v33sj0]

next ones soon as 2 is the max !

It would be excellent if the locus screen could be swappable with various screens without changing the navigation set-up, nor the tracking - screens like 1] the map, 2] navigation numbers, no map, 3] compass, 4] distance - altitude profile or distance - time, or altitude - time, 5] map + some navigation info for driving, 6] map + some navigation info for biking or walking, 7] map + some navigation info for flying, 8] map + some navigation info for geocaching !
Maybe others !

Thank you for reading and for all your time doing those sw dev. !!

Greetings from the Swiss Alps    Pierre
  •  

pierre_lavanchy

Here the other screen-shots:

[attachment=1:7ccsb4b3]Compe_GPS_flying2.jpg[/attachment:7ccsb4b3]
[attachment=0:7ccsb4b3]SeeYou_gliding.png[/attachment:7ccsb4b3]
  •  

pierre_lavanchy

Sorry, posted twice the Compe GPS flying !!

Here the other screen-shots: the second with an added airspace layer (I don't know which format, but would be excellent to have the ability to add airspace layers to maps)

[attachment=1:29dnw9x7]SeeYou_task_planning.png[/attachment:29dnw9x7]
[attachment=0:29dnw9x7]SeeYou_airspace.png[/attachment:29dnw9x7]
  •  

pierre_lavanchy

Here the last screen-shot, the airspace information (the airspace is click-able and then displays the information):

[attachment=0:2pxz54h7]SeeYou_airspace_info.png[/attachment:2pxz54h7]

Again, thank you !   Ciao   Pierre
  •  

druki

I would love a Screen which is exactly like the standard Navigation screen http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... ion_screen
 but with one more information: The current speed (km/h, maybe mph for others).
All functionallity (Menu Button, Position to GPS-Button, Rotation, Zooming, Navigation Information and corresponding buttons/fields) as well as the right panel menu (doubletap and fade out after some time) should be the same.
So maybe this could mean to add another configurable field like the existing two (then this is not the right place to post) or make this aditional field as a custom screen?
Is this possible?
  •  

druki

Maybe to close this threat: with the feature of custom dashboards nearly everything is possible. Thank you, Menion!
  •  

Menion

sure you're welcome. I will also not anymore support "Custom screen" feature as dashboard is much better. There are still missing some features, but time will show if they'll be needed or not.
  •