Author Topic: c-me live tracking  (Read 78775 times)

Offline antiplex

• View Profile
Re: c-me live tracking
« Reply #270 on: May 19, 2017, 16:11:44 »

@gytna: hello again! been checking out live-tracking with your service and so far like it pretty much, so thanks again for providing all this for free!

i've also come across some ideas on additional features that might be helpful to some (including me ;)) plus possibly easy to implement that i'd like to discuss/share. please forgive me if such feature is already available and was not seen/understood correctly by me.
while using live tracking I found it at times hard to distinguish newer tracks/positions from older ones that might still be present in the database and are located in the same area that the current tracking is taking place.

* to mitigate this, a rather simple approach could be to be able to individually configure the default number of positions drawn which would be applied automatically when the guest-link is openend by a user/guest.‎

* some more advanced approach: fading/coloring between sections depending on age of the segment. e.g. use of transparency for say 15-minute intervals so the segments within the last 15min are fully opaque while the oldest ones (e.g. older than 4 hours) are displayed in 20% transparency or use a darker color.

* another approach which probably needs more effort to implement could be to define some sort of timeout (say 1,2,4,8,16 hours) after which old datapoints are not shown as connected to newer ones and are styled in a different color.

for now, to minimize visual confusion on the map I need to manually login to my account and clear all my database entries which works for my usecase but is far from ideal IMHO.

what do you (or others interested in such functionality) think about my idea so far?

have a nice weekend everyone,
cheers!  8)

Offline gynta

• Global Moderator
  • Professor of Locus
    • View Profile
    • Locus live tracking service
  • Device: SGS5m (4.4.2 root), SGTab10.1 (4.0.4)
« Reply #271 on: May 19, 2017, 17:22:04 »
Hello antiplex

Nice, 'you like it.

But the test(!)service runs since 2013.
Further development was stopped years ago. sorry

btw.
In guestmode you can set max. visble trackpoints

Offline antiplex

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 20, 2017, 14:45:43 »
[...]runs since 2013. Further development was stopped years ago. sorry

btw. In guestmode you can set max. visble trackpoints[...]

I see... guess i'm a little too late then  ;)
And am I assuming correctly that there are currently no plans to release the sources (like via github etc.) for folks interesting in hosting some clone on their own server and maybe modify / add functionality?

Regarding your hint with the max. visible trackpoints in guestmode: you are referring to the manual setting via drop-down-list within the guest-mode that allows the alter the default value of 300 visible trackpoints, right?
Just for clarification: above, I was thinking about an individually settable default value for the guest login so guests only have to click the link and are directed to a view that e.g. shows 10 trackpoints only per default.

Offline alf

• More than Newbie
    • View Profile
is c-me live tracking still active ?
« Reply #273 on: July 26, 2017, 08:54:03 »
Hello Gynta

Many thanks for c-me. It has helped me a lot.
During the last few days I have been trying c-me live tracking. Although Locus shows that the position has been sent, on the c-me web site I have always the message "Your database is empty!".
I had no problems with c-me in May.
GPSies works fine, therefore I suppose that the problem is not my phone.
Any suggestions ?

Thanks and regards

Offline gynta

• Global Moderator
  • Professor of Locus
    • View Profile
    • Locus live tracking service
  • Device: SGS5m (4.4.2 root), SGTab10.1 (4.0.4)
Re: is c-me live tracking still active ?
« Reply #274 on: July 26, 2017, 19:01:00 »
Many thanks for c-me. It has helped me a lot.
During the last few days I have been trying c-me live tracking. Although Locus shows that the position has been sent, on the c-me web site I have always the message "Your database is empty!".
I had no problems with c-me in May.
GPSies works fine, therefore I suppose that the problem is not my phone.
Any suggestions ?

Hello  alf
You're welcome!
Your nick for c-me ?
btw. there was no changes for this service - for years :)

Offline alf

• More than Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 15, 2017, 12:42:37 »
Many thanks for your fast reply, and sorry for my very late reply.
All clear, problem was on my side due to my own stupidity.
Locus was reporting that the position was sent, therefore I was not giving enough attention to Locus c-me setup.
I deleted c-me from Locus live tracking, added it again, and same problem, Locus apparently sending the position but nothing on c-me web site..
After several attempts I realized that a blank space existed in the Locus PID field before the first character of the default PID "your PID". Therefore replacing each visible character of this field by my PID was in fact letting this blank space in front of my PID, therefore invalidating it.
Thanks again and best regards