[MAPS] - Vector maps (with terrain contour lines)

Started by jurajs, April 22, 2012, 16:04:18

jurajs

damn thing...
I have googled a lot and searched many forum topics to find whats wrong, but i have failed to find any relevant info about that crap.

so may i ask you guys to test the map and look for any possible differences between map without contour lines data and this map ? maybe you will find it completely consistent. thanks
  •  

jurajs

I have tired to create a map from regular osm file without contour lines, and i got the warnings too... anyone else is experiencing this ? maybe its ok after all ... ?!?!

btw: switzerland added (created from detailed view1 source)
  •  

Menion

all maps in Locus Shop are created with this "issue". I personally do not know what this mean but if this just mean that few roads will be cut on border, I think it's not a big problem. At least much smaller that many problems with water areas I see ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jurajs

hmmmm ... i have an idea... many countries were ok. i guess that all landlocked were fine. there was an issue with germany, portugal, spain, etc....
but croatia (with so many islands and long coastline) is confusig me a lot because it was done without any problem.
  •  

brotbuexe

@jurajs
How big would be a vector map with only the contour lines in it?

If Locus could show this vector map with a contour theme on top of a "normal" map without countours with a different theme...

You only have to create that vector map once for a long time (hills don't change that often).
And if it is small enough it simple to download as a addon to the normal map.
And you don't have the time overhead for inserting the overlay every time you create a new vector map from the osm data.

Would it be possible to create a europe map with only the contour without getting hundred of megabytes?
  •  

jurajs

hey dude ;-)
borrow me a server with infinite computing power and tommorow its yours ;-)

back to your question: i guess it should be under 2GB when using strm3 source.
  •  

druki

Hi,
unfortunately I don't have such a server.
Idea: Is there a chance to rent a powerful server? I would spent at least 10 EUR for ready to use contour lines of europe. Anyone else?
  •  

brotbuexe

Quote from: "jurajs"hey dude ;-)
borrow me a server with infinite computing power and tommorow its yours ;-)

back to your question: i guess it should be under 2GB when using strm3 source.

What I mean.
When its possible to overlay a vector contour map (with its own theme) on the fly in locus (on top of normal osm vector maps with another theme), why should you / or menion need to create maps that includes osm data and contour data in one map anymore?

Contours don't change. They could be created once, be put on the server. Users have to download them only once.
OSM data changes. Maps have to be recreated. Users have to download them again.

And the creation for a contour only map should be a lot faster then a map with osm+contour data?
  •  

jurajs

nice idea but....
menion have written down here (and i quote) : "MapsForge library cannot handle two map files at once."

•  

brotbuexe

hmpf.

But he could run the library two times and put it on top of each other.
quad core phones are coming... :)
  •  

druki

Maybe there is an other way instead of map overlay? Support my idea and maybe let's find an alternative solution: http://gsfn.us/t/2pdnh
  •  

jusc

I like jurajs work,  because contour line maps have the possibility to add another (third) overlay like "hike or bike " overlay. So at last you have a map plus "2" overlays, that you can't have with a map without contour lines.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P1000 mit Tapatalk 2
Regards J.
  •  

brotbuexe

somehow your link does not work for me on the pc. Only get me to the locus page on getsatisfaction.
  •  

brotbuexe

@jusc, for now you have only one layer to overlay.
I hope menion changes that and you could put as much layers on top of each other as you like or as your device can handle. :)
  •  

druki

Sorry, link was only for mobiles. I changed it to the short link provided in the getsatisfaction idea: http://gsfn.us/t/2pdnh
  •