[MAPS] - Vector maps (with terrain contour lines)

Started by jurajs, April 22, 2012, 16:04:18

joa

Sorry, just found it by myself. I should have read the topic more thoroughly. Now it works and looks real nice!!! I'm very curious on Germany.
Thanks so much for your work.

Joachim
  •  

Menion

Quote from: "jurajs"hi joa

i don't see this as a big problem... i guess the menion will include this maps in his map generating schedule and the problem with updating is gone...

yes, I also think this will be best. Maybe generating two version with/without lines so people may choose. But this later after I'll test it by myself
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

joa

@menion: if you will do that (and I'd appreciate that very much) could you please include a map for whole Germany then. Mapsforge provides that (it's about 700 MB which is in my opinion not too much; o.k. with contour lines it will be a little more) and it's much better to handle than the separate "Bundeslaender". I'm using the mapsforge version of whole Germany but of course it's without contour lines.
  •  

jurajs

@joa: you can expect my version of germany tomorrow or the day after. computing of contour lines takes a lot of time (3 days on 100% cpu so far) when i want to achieve perfect results. i expect that the final size will be somewhere around 1.2-1.5 gig.

now i am going to play with theme settings to get even better graphical output of the contour lines lines. i'll keep you updated.

btw: sooner or later i will reach my 5gb quota on my gdrive - is someone able to provide some online storage for uploading and sharing my maps ?
  •  

joa

jurais, I understand that perfectly. It was just a hint for menion, if he will do the regular maps generating and updating (some day), that he'll hopefully make that whole germany map version, as till now there are only the "Bundeslaender"-parts. What you do is absolutely great development work, but you said by yourself that you won't make the regular updating work.
  •  

jurajs

@joa: i can ... if someone has a wish. scripts are prepared. ;-)

@all: check for updated theme
  •  

Menion

joa: maps of whole germany is already in Locus for download (more then month)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "jurajs"Some new maps added (see 1st post) including czech republic, chroatia, poland, hungary, etc... now it's processing a map of germany, austria, switzerland and serbia. I am planning to make and share most of the europe. If you have a hint or a special wish, just let me know.

j.
Will your maps of Spain and Portugal include the islands as well? If not this is a wish from my side.
Thank you very much for your effort!

Quote from: "jurajs"btw: sooner or later i will reach my 5gb quota on my gdrive - is someone able to provide some online storage for uploading and sharing my maps ?
http://www.mediafire.com seems to work quite well. Though the file limit is 100MB you can easily split files (e.g. with rar) before upload and concatenate after download
  •  

jurajs

@tommi:
- added portugal to the processing queue.
- haven't checked if polygons contains also islands. we will see when finnished ;-) if not i can make the maps of islands in addition.
- mediafire? maaah... i rather create one more dummy google account just for storage ;-)
  •  

col

Thanks for providing the information to get this working. Have finally got everything running fine on OS X, but one question, how long should phyghtmap take to process the data? i set it going 24 hours ago with the height data from iceland and its only processed 4 of the .hgt files..?
  •  

jurajs

col,

well .. thats the price :-)
i cant tell how long does it take .... it depends on terrain complexity, data source used, and of course area. for example austria with view1 files took aproximately the same long as whole germany with srtm3 files.at my 3ghz i5 it was cca 4-5 days each

i guess its just a problem of not optimalized algorythm... already politely wrote to developers of phyghtmap for advise or fix. ;-)

j.
  •  

jurajs

whole germany is out.

FOR TESTING ONLY !!! WORKING, BUT FOR SURE IT'S CORRUPTED IN SOME WAY.

During map creation I had some warnings that quite a bunch of polygons has been skipped because of node-id/way-id collisions after merge. I will try do make a new one soon but it will take probably another week to process.
  •  

jusc

Perhaps it would be easier to use the smaller region files of Germany ? (http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/germany/)
Regards J.
  •  

jurajs

hmmmm... but i am not sure...
can somebody tell what actually these bloody messages mean ? maybe its something totally common and worth ignoring ;-)

mßj 02, 2012 7:53:56 AM org.mapsforge.map.writer.util.GeoUtils toJtsGeometry
WARNING: outer way of multi polygon is not a polygon, skipping it: 28232227
mßj 02, 2012 7:53:57 AM org.mapsforge.map.writer.util.GeoUtils toJtsGeometry
WARNING: outer way of multi polygon is not a polygon, skipping it: 160678280
mßj 02, 2012 7:53:58 AM org.mapsforge.map.writer.util.GeoUtils toJtsGeometry
WARNING: outer way of multi polygon is not a polygon, skipping it: 28232227
mßj 02, 2012 7:53:58 AM org.mapsforge.map.writer.util.GeoUtils toJtsGeometry
WARNING: outer way of multi polygon is not a polygon, skipping it: 160678280
  •  

jusc

Maybe it is a problem of mapsforge renderer with polygons like this:  viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1767&p=11396&hilit=ijsselmeer#p11396 ==> http://code.google.com/p/mapsforge/issues/detail?id=229
Regards J.
  •