Locus crashes nearly all the time now...

Started by phoneguy100, February 19, 2012, 16:48:37

phoneguy100

Hi all - Hi Menion.

Okay...

Been using Locus for exactly a year now...

The last few releases have been crashing on me and its getting to the point that Locus (my fave ever app for anything) is now not useable as a tool.   :(

Did a 7.5 miles hike yesterday and half way through I checked my screen to see that Locus had crashed and I missed logging half a mile.

The same thing happened 2 days previous... and the week before that it crashed/force closed twice meaning my logged gps route was a complete mess and nowhere near the actual distance we had walked.

I've got an HTC Wildifire S running Adroid 2.3.5.  Locus runs from the phone and not the SD card and I have 15mb spare on the phone so all should be ok there.  As for RAM - the phone has around 400mb RAM and no matter what I am running I am only ever using half that and so that shouldnt be a problem either.

Cant find any conflicts with other apps and I dont use anything else that uses GPS.

Am getting really disheartened as my hikes and walks are tough and I cant rely on Locus anymore to log them.  

A few weeks ago I did press the send report option when it force closed but dont know what else to do now and hope somebody please has some ideas as I think Locus is amazing and cant figure out why it suddenly decides to force close sometimes.

Running Locus Pro 1.16.3

I hope someone can help.
Thanks so much in advance.  :oops:
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  sorry to hear this. Let's go and fix it. "Send report" button is not much useful for me. Best is using some other program like "CatLog" (free on market). So imediately after Locus crash, start catLog and from menu select SAVE and then SEND and this will send log with report (send it to locus(@)asamm.com email maybe together with some small description why this issue happen)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

phoneguy100

Many thanks menion

I have now install catlog and will be out walking tomorrow.  If it happens again I will follow the instructions you kindly supplied and will email a report and details over to you.

Cheers. :-)
  •  

phoneguy100

Just sent you an email Menion.
Thanks and best regards.
  •  

Menion

thanks for email. I'm looking at it. There is only one serious error that happen during some changes of custom screen.

Are you using custom screen during track record? Maybe this cause this issues. Did you tried recording just without this custom screen? If no, try it please. Log in case of crash is again, more then welcome
  •  

berkley

Hi,

i had an issue with track recording too.
sent you an email with txt from catlog.
don't know, if its the same problem or not?

cheers, berkley
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

thanks Matthias. Email received but in your log is no info about locus and no info about some crash. Weird but really, no info ...
  •  

phoneguy100

Thanks Menion :-)

Yeah, I have the custom screen logging the route most of the time - but its not my custom screen its the 'smurf' one that comes with Locus.
I have used it ever since it was included in Locus.

Anyway, I will just use the regular screen for my next journey out and see if that is more stable.

Will keep in this thread and advise in the next few days.

Cheers so much.
  •  

berkley

Quote from: "menion"thanks Matthias. Email received but in your log is no info about locus and no info about some crash. Weird but really, no info ...

This is what i was worried about, when it happened. CatLog was going some kind of crazy direclty after FC. Around 50 lines per second... :D

I try to reproduce and send a new log... maybe need a screencast too?
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

thanks PhoneGuy,
  there was one error on custom screen selection which is now fixed, anyway this will probably not fix issue with recording, so try it on normal screen and let me know.

matthias:
when you start catlog, you have to wait for a while, till it stop loading new lines. So wait 5-10 secs and then save and email ...
  •  

phoneguy100

Hi Menion.

Was going to test Locus without using the custom screen tomorrow and see if it crashed.
Loaded up a route into my phone and started to download a few tiles to cache the area for tomorrow... crash.

Never even went into the custom screen so it seems to be something more serious and not the custom screen to blame :-(

Phone has been 100% fine all day and its only Locus that has crashed/forced closed.

I have no idea why this is happening and cant pin it down to anything.

I have just sent you the CatLog file for this current crash menion in the hope you can find something.

I really hope this can be fixed and I thank you again for all your great help.
regards.
(file Locus Crash 220212.txt emailed)
  •  

berkley

Hi,

my problem doesn't have something to do with yours. But may I ask a stupid question:

It may sound ridicolous, but have you already tried to
- uninstall Locus Free & Pro
- reboot your device
- reinstall Locus Free & Pro

Don't forget to make a backup!!!

Good luck
Search before posting!!!
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

thanks Matthias but don't do this PhoneGuy :D

thanks for second log on email. Problem in log is hopefully solved (almost few weeks ago) so wait till next release (probably today) and test it with new version. I did quite a lot of changes so we'll continue in fixing issue (if will still exist) with new market version ...
  •  

phoneguy100

cheers berkley (great avatar)

Thanks so much menion - I presume you saw something in the last catlog I sent that has identified a problem?

Looking forward to the new androidmarket version - cant wait. lol   :-)
  •  

phoneguy100

Was hiking today and Locus crashed... it restarted fine and resumed the track like it always does - except this time the whole of the hiked route was zero.  Nothing was there at all. :-(  :-(  :-(
  •