preferred routine for backup - transfer to new phone

Started by air7, January 12, 2012, 11:27:53

air7

Hi Menion,
Locus Pro has become my main and most important APP on my Galaxy S2: I love and heavily use it. It is not only by far the best Nav app available, for me it has become the most important app ever and one of the reasons why I (unfortunately...) can not switch back from Android to iOS... One of the reasons that would want to make me switch back to iOS is the cumbersome process of Android to switch to a new device - even as it is in my case, from Samsung to Samsung (Galaxy 2 to galaxy note).

Since Locus is my most important app, I will select the transition procedure/backup software entirely on what will be best to protect my Locus settings, Maps and saved routes - but I am relying on some advice from you or the forum here, what that would be.

Thank you in advance and keep up the great work!!
Best regards, Volker
Switched from iPhone4 to Galaxy S2 bcs screen
went on to -->Galaxy Note 2 --> then Note 3 --> now on Note 4 and Cat S40 rugged phone
SW: tried MotionX GPS (iOS), Google tracks and Trimble Outdoors on Android in vain
use Locus Pro since 2011 (internat. and offroad navigation, track record, share)
  •  

Menion

Hi Air,
  thanks for nice works ...

transfering locus to another device is quite simple. Everything is stored on your card (or internal memory). So when you transfer your Locus directory to new phone, you loose nothing except Locus settings. To keep this also, you need use Backup feature (or store settings in menu > settings > misc > save preferences".
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

air7

Great, thank you !!
It is done now and Locus Pro works like a charm on the the new Galaxy Note!
Btw: Once you have seen the app on the Galaxy Note, you will never go back to the Galaxy S2 (or any other phone ;-))
However, I used a slightly different approach to transfer Locus Pro to the new phone:
 - in Locus Pro went to -->Options -->Functions -->Backup Manager -->Backup
 - there I saved Settings, Categories, Tracks and WMS to the SD card
 - started the new phone, went to Android market -->Options -->My Apps
 - Installed Locus Pro from there, no problems with registration!
 - in Locus Pro went to -->Options -->Functions -->Backup Manager -->Restore
 - done (see screenshots below) and works!

One more question if I may ;-)
I recently navigated from Switzerland to Spain which worked great,
but when I tried to go back (without an online connection) and tried to reverse navigate the route, I did not manage to figure it out.
Is it possible?

went on to -->Galaxy Note 2 --> then Note 3 --> now on Note 4 and Cat S40 rugged phone
SW: tried MotionX GPS (iOS), Google tracks and Trimble Outdoors on Android in vain
use Locus Pro since 2011 (internat. and offroad navigation, track record, share)
  •  

Menion

I know that it looks nice on big screen ;) (I've already Galaxy Nexus ;) ) ...

you've choose good method to transfer even only needed things to backup is "Settings". Rest is stored on SD card in Locus directory

and about navigation reverse .. this is not possible. I still not figure out, how to compute number of exit on roundabout in opposite direction :D
  •  

air7

Great THX !!
no problem, I will compute the reverse route from home next time and try to save it!
It is still amazing, what your app can do - including voice guidance etc: I had no trouble navigating from door to door over a 1000km :-)

And down there in Spain, we went offroading over the holidays. With Locus Pro I was able to record any track shown to us and then re-ride at will back and forth: awesome!
  •  

Menion

all this without a problem? I'm quite surprised to be true :D

mainly because I'm a little bit ... hmm, addict on Locus development? :) ... probably, I had not yet time to fully test in terrain all these features. Damn, I never used voice navigation in terrain :). Hope, this year I'll have finally some trips to nature, so good time to test ...

anyway, I'm glad for your "test report", thanks!
  •  

air7

sorry for the confusion: I used voice guidance in the car on the route from Switzerland to Spain.
Offroad, on the motorbike I would not hear it anyway. I have the phone mounted to the handlebar and just use "optical" guidance with the guide on, this works sufficiently. And when the right maps are chosen (the variety is another great feature of Locus) and the right resolution, plus a good color and size of the track to follow (awesome, that this is editable) it allows fast riding and hardly slows me down
  •