Garmin Map conversion

Started by superscout03, January 17, 2011, 12:41:02

Scylla

Yes, I have problem with the character encoding too, because my maps contains tons of hungarian special characters.
  •  

krzysiekz

I used convert labels to russian in mapedit.
  •  

Scylla

At last I have some time to deal with the conversion. I thought I should share the result I achieved.

I improve the python script a bit, so it can now deal with the utf-8 names which makes it more usable I suppose.
The second modification was to change the file format from version 0.5 to 0.6, because the compiler from the OSM site doesn't like the old format anymore. (I now that the old version accessible too, but everything must evolve.)

The converted file made by the modified script now accepted by the OSM compiler, though I wasn't able to compile it into the Locus understandable format because of a missing java library. If I succeed I will inform you.
  •  

jonas

Hi,
I was searching for an offline Indonesia map for locus and found this post: //http://www.inigis.org/454/navigasi-net-releases-gps-map-indonesia-v2-11.html/.
After I've downloaded a zip file, there was only an .exe installer, that created file gmapsupp.img. But on that web site, they have an image of Locus screen with that map. How did they do that?
Jonas
  •  

Menion

Hello Jonas,
  Navigasi maps are in list of online maps. They're probably also on this screenshot. Anyway you may download these maps directly in Locus so I suggest to try. If you're not experienced with Locus downloading system, you may check this manual http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual:map_download
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jonas

Hi,
I've tried to download Navigasi directly in Locus, but it always failed after few tens of seconds. That's why I was looking for some ready offline maps. It haven't occured to me, that on the screenshot is the online version. I will keep trying download using Locus. I can still use vector map from vectormaps4locus.eu.
Thanks for the great application :-)
Jonas
  •  

Menion

are you sure it do not work? I have just tested it and seems to work correctly. There are limits on map downloading. On Navigasi for example 5000 tiles per day so if you already exhausted this, you have to wait on second day
  •  

jonas

I don't think, I've overdrawn 5000 tiles. And I did the second try at the same day, which was also interrupted after few tens of seconds. Maybe it was only some network problem. I can't test it right now, my phone is in the service. If I notice this problem after, I'll post it in czech section.
Have a nice day
Jonas
  •  

Menion

Ah you're from Olomouc, nice :) Sure no problem, if you notice problem, let me know because this have to work. You may also check number of already downloaded tiles in online map information screen (just hold long click on map you want to check)
  •  

Menion

I just discovered this ... anyone tried? http://www.trekbuddy.net/wiki/index.php ... _Trekbuddy
  •  

Menion

first test successful ... http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... img_to_sql

only problem seems that MapEdit don't render IMG maps that looks as good as in MapSource
  •  

Robin99

MapEdit can't run on my PC:(
  •