Category icon coloring, refresh of Import

Started by Khaytsus, November 28, 2011, 20:12:12

Khaytsus

Menion,

I have two wishlist items, hopefully they're interesting to you and other users.  I think both fit in well with the existing Locus functionality.  Please, anyone also interested in either or both speak up!

Thanks!!   :D

Wishlist one:  Colorizing of category icons

Use Case:  Per category being able to identify special items.  Specifically to geocaching, say I have a Pocket Query of typical Unfound caches, I'd leave this the default.  But I also have a Pocket Query of my DNF's, I want to color these a Blue color so I can quickly identify them on the map.  I personally already have the PQ's set up this way from a long time back.  I have DNF's (Blue), Mine (Purple), Lonely (Orange), etc..  The colors were done on datafile creation for an old Geocaching program called GeoNiche and was very handy for me.

Suggestion on implementation:  In Category->Edit screen, there's Icon, Name, add an option here, perhaps Overlay Color, which offers you the Choose Color dialog you have in Settings and some other places.  Default to White/Transparent (ie:  No change).  If the user does change it, simply overly this new color over the icon on the Edit screen (for preview) and on the Map.  For most Geocaching icons, this would basically make the white Square colorized depending upon setting.  Some other icons may or may not work well with this, such as the Black Star on Orange probably won't show much change but that's okay.

Wishlist two:  Refresh of Imported Data

Use Case:  I have a Pocket Query, such as all of the caches I have nearby I have not found.  Currently I go to Data Manager->Import, select File, Select Category, answer a few questions.  It would be nice to go to a Data Manager->Categories->Tap Category and Refresh to accomplish the Import without selecting a File and Category.  Less chance for error (selecting wrong file or category), same taps but potentially less fuss if you have a lot of files in the directory you import from.

Suggestion on implementation:  Store the file used to import data into the Category on Import.  To then refresh, Data Manager->Categories->tap category shows Points, Edit, Delete.  Add "Refresh" here.  When this is hit, it automatically imports that file, asking the typical overwrite etc questions.  I basically have one ZIP or GPX per Category, other folks might have multiple files they import into a given category.  Not sure what to suggest here...  Import Last, somehow track all of them?  Import Last seems reasonable to me.

Use Case Two:  Refresh All categories!  I currently have about 6 categories I keep up to date, but keep them separated so I can turn them on or off, such as Unfound, My Hides, My Finds, set of caches in another area, etc.  It would be nice to refresh them all at once.

Suggestion on implementation:  Not sure here.  A "Refresh All" button doesn't really fit under a specific Category, and you don't have anything on the "Menu" button here.  You do not have anything on a long-press of a category, maybe this could pop up a "Refresh All" menu?  Not sure what to suggest here.
  •  

Menion

hmm interesting ideas ...

so, my opinion

- colorizing. I understand that this should be handy on one side. For normal icons, it can be done by some icon packs where you can choose icon color you want. I know that for geocaching this do not work, because there is no possibility to choose icons for caches. Anyway your solution is quite difficult for me to implement to current system. Hmm, I'll think about it ... some solution should be ... ability to choose icon pack also for geocaches ... hmm

- refreshing - in new version I added new button. When you go to Point manager screen, last button (except "Fill altitude", "Copy to...", ..) contains also Import, where you only choose file and that's all. So it faster to import to different categories. I'll probably also add this button to "Category screen" as you mentioned before. About some autorefresh .. hmm I'm sure this will be enough ;)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Khaytsus

Quote from: "menion"hmm interesting ideas ...

so, my opinion

- colorizing. I understand that this should be handy on one side. For normal icons, it can be done by some icon packs where you can choose icon color you want. I know that for geocaching this do not work, because there is no possibility to choose icons for caches. Anyway your solution is quite difficult for me to implement to current system. Hmm, I'll think about it ... some solution should be ... ability to choose icon pack also for geocaches ... hmm

k, I'm sure you'll come up with a good method.  I just want to be able to identify a category of POI's from GPX files, ie:  ones with predetermined icons, with the least fuss possible.  ie:  I don't want to change the entire category icons, I wouldn't want to change _individual_ icons, etc.  If it was an entirely different set of icons for that particular category and that set was associated with the category and is maintained with new imports etc, sounds fine with me.  :)  I'd be happy to duplicate the existing icons and tone 'em myself even.

Quote from: "menion"- refreshing - in new version I added new button. When you go to Point manager screen, last button (except "Fill altitude", "Copy to...", ..) contains also Import, where you only choose file and that's all. So it faster to import to different categories. I'll probably also add this button to "Category screen" as you mentioned before. About some autorefresh .. hmm I'm sure this will be enough ;)
The "import" on the categories does help here, one less choice to make.  I fat finger stuff, and Locus is great about confirming actions but I tend to get into a roll and might confirm my incorrect selection sometimes (hint: I have at least once.. heh).  I think it's enough, although it'd still be nice if it could remember the file you imported into the category last time.  :)
  •