Heart Rate monitoring?

Started by svartbjorn, March 22, 2011, 22:35:42

svartbjorn

There are half a dozen Android Market apps that support connection with a bluetooth based Heart Rate monitor. I am using the Zephyr HxM Bluetooth Heart Rate monitor with Endomondo and SportsTrackLive. Polar too has one monitor based on bluetooth.

Have you considered implementing such a feature? Or is that a direction you do not want to go? Just curious. Using Endomondo or SportsTrackLive for this is fine for me, but if Locus supported this, then the track log could also store HR. That would mostly be interesting I think if playback of stored tracks was supported.

What do people think?
  •  

chrisbrown

Hi,

It would be totally cool if Locus Pro was able to read and record information from heart rate monitors inside the track file, and then display stats on HRM in the track info panel, on the chart, in graphs, and allow them to be downloaded. A chart showing speed/distance and hr/distance together as two lines overlaid on a chart would be amazing.

There are two types of HRM interface - bluetooth, which is standard on Android but eats batteries, and ANT+, which is the protocol used for many commercial watch/HRM combos, and is lower power. There is a new ANT+ API available although I cannot find any apps for it yet: http://api.wahoofitness.com/android/beta/

The customizable screen that I see requested in some other threads would be great for this HRM integration too.

Here's an example of a Garmin map showing speed & HR together in a chart. Obviously this is in a desktop webbrowser not a smartphone but it shows the idea:

I'd pay more for this feature.

Cheers, Chris
  •  

yogurt

Are you planning to support  bluetooth cardio like polar?
  •  

Menion

Hi guys,
  I received one same wish by email and found that also three wishes are here on forum. Ok, I can of course add support, but have no idea how to do it and test it without own heart rate monitor ...

so, here are two possibilities
1. try to find some free source code that work with HRM to inspire and find what data HRM send
2. buy own HRM and test it

I'll start with 1 and we'll see ...

EDIT: ad, didn't expect such fast finding ... http://code.google.com/r/jonipakarinen- ... 1e7209ceb4
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

sigi-s

Hello Menion,

The Support of ANT sensors would really be very great!
It would be great if you would also enable ANT sensors for Cadence and Speed, and Powermeters (for Biking)
Thanks,
Sigi
  •  

wvb

there don't seem to be much phones that support ANT+ yet..
only SE it seems
more info + API sample code here:
http://www.thisisant.com/pages/develope ... ndroid-api
  •  

meccup

Hi Menion,

I just want to pump up this topic since I think it is really interesting and useful feature to have supported ant+ sensors. I am a cyclist, just imagine you may turn my (and many others cyclists) android phone to very powerful bicycle computer! That is really cool. I have been using endomondo and sports-tracker apps, they are nice (it is possible to connect ant+ sensors e.g. speed, cadence, hrm) BUT they don't have powerful features (which locus has) to work with maps, e.g. to cache/upload maps and to upload routes/tracks.

I believe it would be really big advantage to have ant+ sensors supported by locus app. Are you considering to implement it? I am willing to help you.

Thank you,
Vlad.
  •  

Menion

Hello Vlad,
  I'm willing to create support for this. There is one main "but". I'm mainly trying to make features that are interested by me :) and secondly for community. This feature in not interested for me, but if will be interested for community, I have nothing against it and will be happy to implement it. As I see, topic is already on GetSatisfaction, so suggest to vote and hope there will be more votes soon :)

https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topic ... ger_add_on
  •  

washa_rednecks

Hi, do you think about adding bluetooth HR monitor? Like Polar?
I mean support of ANT is good, but there is also a lot of BT HR monitor users.

I'm ofc one of them ;) If you want, i can provide BT HR for testing or i can help and/or assist.

Than you very much for reply ;)

Washa
  •  

Menion

•  

washa_rednecks

Thank you very much for quick reply!
Great news for me!
I'm looking forward to have BT HR monitor in Locus.
I will check these both threads and if it will be possible, i would like to help with this issue.

Washa

Ps: klidne cesky ;)
  •