"Big Button" profile (setting)

Started by Gammalerik, October 31, 2011, 12:30:37

Gammalerik

As winter is closing in, people are getting their gloves on. (yes there are gloves that can operate touchscreens :) ) People who use GPS regularly know what to wear. In light of this I wondered if a "Bigger Button GUI" profile could be done so operating with gloves on will be a bit easier?

By the way, I recommend neoprene gloves (must be slightly wet) as well as these relatively cheap gloves with silver particles for outdoors people using Locus :idea:
//http://www.agloves.com/products/Agloves.html

Edit: I have a 4.3 inch display and it is juuust so I can operate the individual buttons without pressing the one next to it. I hit the right one about 75% of the time.
  •  

Gammalerik

Bumping this one.

A "bigger button setting" is also useful for hitting the right button during one of those bumpy rides/running etc without the need to first make a stop.
  •  

Khaytsus

When I'm driving, just making simple changes to Locus requires me paying entirely too much attention to the phone vs me reaching up, glancing, poking, like I do with other apps, like Waze.

I agree, a simplified interface with larger buttons that could be toggled on/off replacing the current screen buttons would be great.
  •  

Menion

Hi guys,
  I'm sorry but I still have no simple solution for this. Size of buttons is set in one configuration file during compiling of application and I have no idea how to change it dynamically during app run, so this is currently not possible
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

stebu

Hi Menion, what if you had hidden menu. This menu is enabled with (quick)settings "Big Buttons".
When it is enabled, doubleclick brings up a whole screen, big button menu.

But what are the "big" functions? I seem to be using zoom and rotate buttons while driving, but they are rather easy to use in the current version.
Recorder control while biking?
  •  

Khaytsus

Quote from: "stebu"Hi Menion, what if you had hidden menu. This menu is enabled with (quick)settings "Big Buttons".
When it is enabled, doubleclick brings up a whole screen, big button menu.

But what are the "big" functions? I seem to be using zoom and rotate buttons while driving, but they are rather easy to use in the current version.
Recorder control while biking?
I could see it hiding the menus/button (as it can already today) and when you tap the screen it shows 8 or 10 buttons of the users desire, the buttons being sort of like the "Locus" menu does today?
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "Gammalerik"A "bigger button setting" is also useful for hitting the right button during one of those bumpy rides/running etc without the need to first make a stop.
Could you realize this with a custom screen/skin?

Menion

yes, that's what I wanted to say ... guys, I know you're looking forward to this idea. My info ...

1. stebu and Khaytsus .. sorry but my English is not enough to understand your last posts :)) (I'm serious)
2. do you know custom screens? This feature is still in Beta (gynta already know) and for a  while it remain. Anyway I have big plans with it and want to add big support for it later (some things are still much more important). When this will work (custom screens) you'll be able to define own skin for whole screen
3. in plan is addon for sharing skins for this custom screen, so I'm sure soon or later will be available skins that fit you needs!
4. only bad news - I know you want this on winter (on some special gloves as I read), but I still have a lot of other work to do, so plan for work on this are on .. hmm around February - March .. we'll see ...

possible?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Khaytsus

Quote from: "menion"yes, that's what I wanted to say ... guys, I know you're looking forward to this idea. My info ...

1. stebu and Khaytsus .. sorry but my English is not enough to understand your last posts :)) (I'm serious)
2. do you know custom screens? This feature is still in Beta (gynta already know) and for a  while it remain. Anyway I have big plans with it and want to add big support for it later (some things are still much more important). When this will work (custom screens) you'll be able to define own skin for whole screen
3. in plan is addon for sharing skins for this custom screen, so I'm sure soon or later will be available skins that fit you needs!
4. only bad news - I know you want this on winter (on some special gloves as I read), but I still have a lot of other work to do, so plan for work on this are on .. hmm around February - March .. we'll see ...

possible?
Sounds like you already have this in the works, so the schedule is okay with me.  Reminds me, I need to get some gloves with capacitive fingers.  I hate typing with my nose in the winter. :)
  •  

stebu

Quote from: "menion"1. stebu and Khaytsus .. sorry but my English is not enough to understand your last posts :)) (I'm serious)
possible?
1. The big button menu acts in the same way as the sidebar menu. Except when you double click on the screen, you get a menu with huge buttons, which are easy to operate and may use the whole screen.
4. OK, I only need this in the car (all year) and during biking in the summer. During the winter I'll use my Garmin handheld for geocaching.

I'm eagerly waiting for the custom screen update (especially the closest POI indication :) )
  •