GPS accuracy falsely reported as 0.0ft

Started by CaLocus, October 21, 2011, 20:19:06

CaLocus

Before the GPS on my Motorola Atrix gets a fix and it is using the nearest cell towers to get coordinates from, the accuracy is usually reported as 1 to 2 miles.  However, once the on-board GPS gets a fix, the accuracy is reported as 0.0ft.  This is not possible.  How can I get an GPS accuracy reported correctly?

Thanks
  •  

Menion

hmm, you're using internal GPS and some custom rom? If so, then this is problem of your rom. Did you tried another software that report GPS values? GPS status for example?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

CaLocus

All other programs (GPS Status, GPS Essentials) are also reporting accuracy of 0.0 ft.  Not sure where to look to fix this problem.  Would it be Android, or the Motorola Atrix hardware?
  •  

Menion

hmm, are you using some custom rom? Then it definitely be problem of this rom. If not, then this is by me problem caused by some modifications of motorola
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

CaLocus

Quote below is what I found on the MotoDev Fourm, although no solution is provided.

http://community.developer.motorola.com ... td-p/17116 :

QuoteThis might not be a bug - the google docs at:

http://developer.android.com/reference/ ... ation.html
say "Returns true if the provider is able to report accuracy information, false otherwise."
In other words, the gps unit is saying "I can tell you where you are, but I can't accurately pin down the size of the circle you are in."

Now, when hasAccuracy() is false, getAccuracy() is supposed to return 0.0f.   Are you seeing that, or are you seeing something else?
  •  

CaLocus

Menion: to answer your question; No I am not using a custom rom.

Looks like the GPS unit in my Motorola running Gingerbread is setting hasAccuracy() = false
  •