Auto zoom based on distance to waypoint

Started by Fykantrollet, September 14, 2011, 20:14:19

Fykantrollet

Hi!

Changing zoom by speed is a nice feature. But for me when kayaking it is not exactly applicable.

What I would really like is for the zoom level to be set so that it is based on distance to next waypoint or a set number of waypoint ahead. What I mean is that if I select auto zoom to two waypoints ahead, the auto zoom will try to keep these two waypoints visible at all times.

It would also be good to be able to set the maximum zoom level when using this function.
  •  

Gammalerik

Very nice idea.  :!: This would save a lot of hassle when kayaking. When kayaking, one has to stop the vessel and remove those thick paddling-gloves to be able to manipulate the display. Some points will take you through shallow/narrow waters. If the zoom level was automatic, you wouldn't need to stop your vessel in those treacherous waters to operate the zoom level. As Fykantrollet said, when kayaking, auto zoom by speed is not very applicable as you have a speed of 4-5kts no matter where and when.

I can also see the value of this when hiking in steep/dangerous terrain in seasons where gloves/mittens are required.

It would also be nice to be able to manually specify the zoom level for a given waypoint when creating a route.
  •  

ronfischler

This is an interesting idea! I never thought of it.

I often use GPS when walking cross-country, both off-road and off-trail, often through steep, bushy, tick-infested terrain. I have definitely been in the situation where I am fiddling with those little buttons to zoom in as I approach my waypoint. I think I might using such a feature if it were available! I don't know why it never occurred to me before. For reasons I am not quite sure of, I tend not to use the compass and just stick to the map. I don't like hitting buttons while I am struggling to get to my target.
  •  

walderik

This would also be a good addition while driving.
Often you want to be know how the intersection in front of you works, even if you are dring fast. Since you can't start zooming when driving, this would be a good addition.

Perhaps you could add another condition for setting the automatic zoom-level?
  •  

OneEyed

I can also see how I would use this while geocaching!
  •  

zailor

Perfect idea for me to!
(when I'm sailing)
Sooooo I think "we" need to move this idea to "get satisfaction" and vote for it!
Cheers
/ zailor

From my Sg2
  •  

aitvariux01

+1

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-N910C Tapatalk 4 Lt

•  

gynta