Measure Distance Between 2 points along Track

Started by jones12ax7, September 03, 2011, 06:40:08

jones12ax7

Hello,

Locus is no doubt the best GPS for outdoor activities. I have been using it on my trekking activities with great success. Thank you!

One little thing I miss is a way to quickly measure the distance between two points of a track, but along the track, not a straight line. It can be done subtracting the "distance to end" of the two points. Despite the fact I don't like doing math knowing I have a powerful computer in hand,  would be nice to have a button for that, so you select the first and second points and the distance showed up somewhere.

It is useful when you are using a already recorded or imported track to follow on. Sometimes you want to know how far you are from a programmed stop on a POI, for example.

If that's too simple for you  :lol: , much better would be something like a "Goal" tool. You could choose the track, the goal point and the "missing distance"  from actual position optionally shows in the "title" bar, ( the one with  Title, Map, GPS, Coordinates, Guiding, Goal ).

Sorry if the measuring feature is already present. I couldn't find how to do it searching in forum and documentation.

Thank you in advance
  •  

durian

I was also thinking about the distance-between-points-on-a-track, also when you record a track when you are travelling. For me it would be nice to select two points on the track, and get some statistics like distance between them, time taken, et cetera.

-peter
  •  

elmuSSo

I totally agree. I also think this is very needed feature. For example some of my tracks are mixed (eg. a part is on Foot and the other part is in Car) and I would like to measure what distance (and other statistics, like avarage speed...) I made in which mode of travelling. This feature should be also available in Chart, so the user would be able to measure these things by clicking on two places in Chart. This will be even more useful if the POIs would be marked on the Chart, so user will have the option to make a measurement between two or more POIs.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
  •  

durian

I have a related wish also - converting a trackpoint to a POI. So I can mark stuff afterwards in the track.

-peter
  •  

jones12ax7

Quote from: durianI have a related wish also - converting a trackpoint to a POI. So I can mark stuff afterwards in the track.

Peter, it can be done easily. Open the information window for the point . Then just click + button.  I dont know if it's a recent feature, but anyway it works nice.
  •  

durian

Quote from: "jones12ax7"Peter, it can be done easily. Open the information window for the point . Then just click + button.  I dont know if it's a recent feature, but anyway it works nice.
Yes, you are right! I didn't look far enough!

-peter
  •  

Yarper1

You can calculate distance between two points using google maps distance calculator when you are traveling. It will give you right calculation of distance. Traveling time people have a great need of google maps distance calculator.
  •  

Lertor

Thanks a lot for your nice information about measuring distance between two places. It will help me so much to get right information about the distance between two points.
  •  

gynta

about quick measuring:
for this i use the "add new route" in locus.